Finally in place here in California,

Santa Cruz and the surrounding coastal areas (north and south) are beautiful and picturesque
like any popular destinations, they have their problems and ways of doing things that are strange to folks that haven't been around the area before.
they(folks down there) do march to a different drummer ,in most cases i ever seen.
the food and the beauty of nature attracts me, i go whenever i get an excuse.

Santa Cruz and the surrounding coastal areas (north and south) are beautiful and picturesque
like any popular destinations, they have their problems and ways of doing things that are strange to folks that haven't been around the area before.
they(folks down there) do march to a different drummer ,in most cases i ever seen.
the food and the beauty of nature attracts me, i go whenever i get an excuse.

Right? Go Slugs! :grin:

1581190689041.png

Not much going on here besides the king tides this weekend, surfs up :grin:

View attachment 312976
You're not the only place in the world with 'waterfront' property, you know. Here are some shots during Thursday's killer rain storm. The water rose about another foot and a half later at its peak.

Driveway leading up to the farm. At peak, that road was underwater. Rain was up to second from top strand of barbwire. Water is flowing downhill to your right.
IMG_0391.jpg

Down the right side. You can see the creek in the background. It's at about 8 feet in this photo. At peak, you can't distinguish the creek from the flood.
IMG_0392.jpg

Around back. That's the pond in the foreground. That's the flood behind it. The creek is on the other side of the tree line to the left. At peak, water from the flood was actually going INTO the pond over the spillway. The bulldozer belongs to a friend. He called and wanted to know if I needed him to send an Ark. I told him a submarine would probably be better.
IMG_0394.jpg

By 2 or 3 AM, it was all gone. Haven't seen one this bad in over ten years. Whitewater rafting anyone?

Regards,
Terry

You moved TO California:eek::grin:
Just... don't. I admit to getting annoyed when the pissing and moaning starts up about CA. Don't like, it, fine, leave. But instead, some people keep posting on and on about how terrible it is. On another forum, a guy left CA and moved to the Midwest, but kept up his attacks. I wanted to ask how the tornados, ice storms, floods, snow, heat, humidity, and mosquitos are, since he forgot to mention that.

Some time back I read about a survivalist type leaving CA with all the usual vitriol, moving to eastern Oregon "where a patriot has the freedom to do whatever he wants." So what's he do first? He dams the stream running through his yard, cutting off water to everyone else downstream. The county came and told him that he couldn't do that, and oh boy, did his anti-government tirade start again. I asked, "Okay, then I'm going to buy the property upstream of you and block of the stream, because "I'm a patriot and can do whatever I like, right?"

I seem to have wandered way off into the wilderness on this thread... I'll sit down now.

I lived in SoCal for several years in the '80s, my oldest son was born in Palmdale.
I miss the swap meets and such but the rest I didn't do so well with.
To this Midwest Dude, Central and Northern California seem like a completely different places. I've enjoyed all the time I ever spent up there.

Just... don't. I admit to getting annoyed when the pissing and moaning starts up about CA. Don't like, it, fine, leave. But instead, some people keep posting on and on about how terrible it is. On another forum, a guy left CA and moved to the Midwest, but kept up his attacks. I wanted to ask how the tornados, ice storms, floods, snow, heat, humidity, and mosquitos are, since he forgot to mention that.

Some time back I read about a survivalist type leaving CA with all the usual vitriol, moving to eastern Oregon "where a patriot has the freedom to do whatever he wants." So what's he do first? He dams the stream running through his yard, cutting off water to everyone else downstream. The county came and told him that he couldn't do that, and oh boy, did his anti-government tirade start again. I asked, "Okay, then I'm going to buy the property upstream of you and block of the stream, because "I'm a patriot and can do whatever I like, right?"

I seem to have wandered way off into the wilderness on this thread... I'll sit down now.
I hear ya, and I've gotten raw from my brother and sister getting real down and dirty ranty about CA. About that time there was a post here on H-M that got into CA bashing and I got triggered and two guys whom I admire and who were mostly funnin' took it personally when called it. I should have just walked away. I think Aukui was just funnin' too. But nobody seems to get how much prejudging you get here and nobody likes where they live being bashed but somehow it's become ok to bash CA.

I was born and raised in Cupertino, CA - the heart of what is now Silicon Valley - it was mostly apricot, cherry and prune orchards when I was a kid. I left San Jose in 2001, lived in Mesa, AZ for 8 years then Elk Rapids, MI for 10 years so I've experienced the most extreme weather anyone from a place that rarely gets uncomfortable could expect.

I heard an awful lot about my home state from people in the midwest, stuff they would be pretty upset about if it was directed at their state. All I could say is if you don't like it then don't go there....

Home is home no matter who you are. I'm happy to be here now, not missing the snow at all.

This board is pretty clear about not discussing politics so no need to go into that. All I have ever needed to say about it to folks from other parts of our fair country is that California leads the nation.

Cheers,

John

We had some serious snow here this morning, I'm willing to share... :grin:
Roads turned crappy in about an hour and I was thankful for my Ol' 2000 Silverado with 4WD.
I was born and raised in Cupertino, CA - the heart of what is now Silicon Valley - it was mostly apricot, cherry and prune orchards when I was a kid. I left San Jose in 2001, lived in Mesa, AZ for 8 years then Elk Rapids, MI for 10 years so I've experienced the most extreme weather anyone from a place that rarely gets uncomfortable could expect.

I heard an awful lot about my home state from people in the midwest, stuff they would be pretty upset about if it was directed at their state. All I could say is if you don't like it then don't go there....

Home is home no matter who you are. I'm happy to be here now, not missing the snow at all.

This board is pretty clear about not discussing politics so no need to go into that. All I have ever needed to say about it to folks from other parts of our fair country is that California leads the nation.

Cheers,

John

I lived in SoCal for several years in the '80s, my oldest son was born in Palmdale.
I miss the swap meets and such but the rest I didn't do so well with.
To this Midwest Dude, Central and Northern California seem like a completely different places. I've enjoyed all the time I ever spent up there.

I think a lot of people who live in Central and Northern CA would agree.

It is a big state, #3 after Alaska and Texas, almost 1000 miles from the California / Oregon border to Mexico. I find that even people who live here often don't fully appreciate the size or the huge variety that the state offers.

I can't blame someone who has never been here for thinking it is all like LA with its 4 million residents (10 million in LA county), but there are also places like Alpine County that only has 1200 people or 1.6 people per square mile (that is about 1/3 the population density of Wyoming).

Back