finding the center while in a vise

C

cg285

Forum Guest
Register Today
just occurred to me that i often see videos, or discussions, about finding the center of round stock (or i guess any shape) by using either a dial indicator or an edge finder on both sides and then splitting that. seems like a waste of time to me. why do we waste time doing that?

I'd hazard a guess that the wasting time question is why it would be necessary to go from both sides, when doing it from one side would suffice for nearly any purpose; I agree with the observation.

I find each edge with edgefinder then hit "Center" for the particular axis. My pieces are never precision ground so the dimension needs to be measured by some method. I could measure the diameter, find the first edge then advance the axis to calculated half diameter measured and set "0" on the DRO.

I normally prefer for 0,0 to be the centre of my work unless I am only working from one or both ends.

There are many ways to set co-ordinates on a milling machine. Pick a method which works for you.

I'd hazard a guess that the wasting time question is why it would be necessary to go from both sides, when doing it from one side would suffice for nearly any purpose; I agree with the observation.

exactly
from the fixed jaw

just occurred to me that i often see videos, or discussions, about finding the center of round stock (or i guess any shape) by using either a dial indicator or an edge finder on both sides and then splitting that. seems like a waste of time to me. why do we waste time doing that?

Will you have to mesure the part at some point, to find center. Mic, calipers, or dro. pick one.

I use the same method as Dave; find one edge, zero DRO, find other edge,hit /2 on the DRo. No waste of time,very rapid and as accurate as the DRO allows. Spindle runout doesn't enter in nor do measurements of diameters, offsets, etc. But hey, whatever makes you happy.

I use the same method as Dave; find one edge, zeroDRO, finde other edge,hit /2 on the DRo. No waste of time,very rapid and as accurate as the DRO allows. Spindle runout doesn't enter in nor do measurements of diameters, offsets, etc. But hey, whatever makes you happy.

well my method (i didn't invent it) would also be find the first edge - fixed jaw - then i'm done

mic is quick and even unnecessary if a known dimension

Your statement is not entirely correct. You cannot take the word of the manufacturer that the size is correct. You arrive at that yourself with a mic. I have gotten wrong sizes at times.

"Billy G"

Back