finding the center while in a vise

Using an edge finder, touching both sides and dividing by 2 is more accurate. Using a mic and vise jaw pressure to name a few all have uncertainties. The fewer the uncertainties you have the better your job. And IMHO, I think it’s faster to just touch two sides with an edge finder and go. A long time ago, I noticed that when I touched just one side, I was always off center a few thou when I did the hole or whatever. Then I started to do the two/both side touching. I don’t have that problem anymore…Dave

Last edited:
Your statement is not entirely correct. You cannot take the word of the manufacturer that the size is correct. You arrive at that yourself with a mic. I have gotten wrong sizes at times.

"Billy G"
if i have a ground precision rod and i want to put in a keyway i think it is more than close enough

Using an edge finder, touching both sides and dividing by 2 is more accurate. Using a mic and vise jaw pressure to name a few all have uncertainties. The fewer the uncertainties you have the better your job. And IMHO, I think it’s faster to just touch two sides with an edge finder and go. A long time ago, I noticed that when I touched just one side, I was always off center a few thou when I did the hole or whatever. Then I started to do the two/both side touching. I don’t have that problem anymore…Dave

maybe but in my mind a mic is more accurate that an edge finder x2 as there is somewhat speculation in observing an edge finder - my opinion

I don't have a DRO, finding the edges and eye balling and touching off is my current method which is not acceptable. It is something I am learning to do.

I don't have a DRO, finding the edges and eye balling and touching off is my current method which is not acceptable. It is something I am learning to do.

my grandfather did some mighty fine work and he never had one either

Well, we have progressed through this thread from round stock with no specifics given to stock of a known dimension to a ground precision bar. So far. The next logical progression would be blind faith in stock that has its center marked by the manufacturer. Then we won’t even need the edge finder at all. ;)

Tom

Well, we have progressed through this thread from round stock with no specifics given to stock of a known dimension to a ground precision bar. So far. The next logical progression would be blind faith in stock that has its center marked by the manufacturer. Then we won’t even need the edge finder at all. ;)

Tom
but you will somehow have to get that "marked center" squared up. time for a new thread

Back