Finding work as a machinist, is a second career possible?

Ask Dave, and Ulma Doctor Mike, they work with recruits, I know it's a revolving door at Dave's place.

Ask Dave, and Ulma Doctor Mike, they work with recruits, I know it's a revolving door at Dave's place.

We are always looking for non-existing workers here in Md .

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice, I guess my primary goal is to get into a decent job and eventually retire. I think realistically I am not going to have the level of income I used to have, and having less job stress and some security is something I would be thankful for. Ideally I want to do something that I have an interest in, machining is just something I have a whole lot of interest in. I think I would enjoy it. I am located in Kansas City, Missouri.

Just thinking out loud here, If you find an old shop, and the owner is not a grumpy old man:) with your enthusiasm, they might hire, and teach as you go. That's if nothing else is planned.

A few questions your going to need answered I think . Are there machinist jobs in demand in your area ? Maybe need to relocate ? Are they willing to work with someone your age ? How long will you plan on working until retirement ? Talking with some young fellows here in the field you could almost make as much starting in a machine shop as starting in a Amazon or UPS warehouse ! You mentioned stress , myself was always was worried about making a mistake and scrapping a high dollar part . Sorry about being such a " Debbie Downer "

One obstacle might be something called an Integrated Quality Management System. If the shop you are applying for has one of those (they come in flavors of ISO, like 9001, 14000, and so on) you may find it is a slow system to get started under. Lots of training, lots of testing, lots of controls, and you yourself are a liability to the system until you are indoctrinated, signed off, had five meetings, and so on.

I have had some very good experience under a QMS, but at the same time it can be unbearably frustrating to accomplish what seems like a simple thing. Just ask what the QMS means for you when you interview.

Yes, I definitely need to consider some of this. My original college has an online CNC course available but I've read through the course outline and its emphasis on math is a little concerning for me plus I don't really believe in learning a skill such as this online.

Whether online or in person there will be a lot of math. Its the nature of the beast.

Back