Fingertip remover version 3 works as it should

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Yep, just touched the blade with my fingertip, didn't even know I hit it. I was positioning some molding in the cutter, and needed to bump it a fraction. Working on your knees not being able to see what you are doing is not great. anyway, I apparently hit the blade and removed the nail and cut deeply into the bed. So now I have matching thumbs. My other thumb finally started growing a normal nail after 21 years, and now I have a new one.
Damn stupid on my part. I sharpened that blade real well... real well... That's what it looks like after the 2nd wrap, and it seems like it's slowed down. I imagine if just hitting it is sharp, imagine if I moved the cutter across.

So what is this tool... it's a framers guillotine. It's used to take slight slivers off of a frame. Perfect for use in the bedroom to cut the molding to size for my bathroom remodel.

20211108_160755.jpg20211108_160810.jpg

20211108_161404.jpg20211108_161410.jpg....

I have one of those and have done that except I got the side of my finger. Happens quick! It is a very nice tool though!

That's not going to feel good for awhile.
I cut mine with a different method, and had 3 surgeries to remove the nail bed. The skin graft came from my middle salute finger. Now when I give Brandon a thumbs up, I smile (not our Jr Brandon):)

Oh, and your going to be a single hand nose picker too for awhile. :grin:

yea, not my first time.. version 2 was a knife cutting through my finger. I was tiling the basement, last tile of the night, dull blade, and too tired to get up and replace it or sharpen it. it skated across the tile but it cut well through my finger. removed the nail and like I said the bed was destroyed, and finally it's growing normal.. 21 years in January.

Snowy night, about 8 inches of snow, wife drove me to the ER at 12:30 in the morn.. I never stop hearing about it.. :(
This time, just wrap it up and count my blessings.

Any farmers out there will appreciate this one. I was mowing hay with a sickle mower and ran into a woodchuck mound, clogging the mower and jamming it wit uncut hay. I lifted the sickle bar to a vertical position to better clear the jam. As I was clearing the last of the jam, the sickle bar dropped, slicing through my finger as a result. Fortunately, it missed the bone but irt was bleeding fairly well. I was in a field a fair distance from the house and it would have been an hour's journey to drive myself to the ER. I cleaned up the wound and glued the partially severed bit back to my finger with CA adhesive. A wrap with gauze and tape completed the first aid.

For the benefit of those not agriculturally orientated, here is a similar sickle bar showing the blades (with the serrated teeth). The bar with the blades moves back and forth shearing the hay against the stationary guards.The mower got disassembled this year after sitting idle for almost forty years and hauled off for scrap. Not sorry to see it go. I did salvage some nice iron from it though, including a four foot length of 2" x 3" bar.

1636418864621.png

I'd NEVER have something that sharp anywhere NEAR a bedroom. :eek:

RJ, I've cut untold thousands of acres of hay and can vouch for needing to stay clear of sickle bar teeth. Those things are like giant razor blades. I've made more than one blood donation in the fields in my time.

So this injury has been a real annoying thing. The finger has been so sensitive. Anytime I bump it I see stars. My dog regularly bumps it, doing any type of work bumps it. I had to do leaves, but I stopped the basement re-org. I just couldn't take it. It's been throbbing at night like crazy.

well I decided to go old school. I put some epsom salt in a bowl, and then hot water. I soaked it for a while. I hit it with iodine after and bacitracin. The pressure is gone, the sensitivity is much lower. Should have tried this days ago. Just posting this here in case it helps someone else.

20211119_102600.jpg20211119_102604.jpg

I cut mine with a different method, and had 3 surgeries to remove the nail bed. The skin graft came from my middle salute finger.
I had a similar situation years back . I bent down and gashed a portion of my eye lid out on my Corvette window Mike . They grafted some skin off my manhood . Everything turned out great other than I'm a little cockeyed on that side . :sorry:

Back