First Bike Fram Build

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
First Bike Frame Build

Well, my 24 year old daughter asked me if I could build her a road bike.
I'm a TIG guy and do OA, although I haven't done much brazing.
I raced road, criteriums, and track 20++ years ago, and still have my old steel (SL and TSX) rides, with old super record, and 600 (the forerunner to Ultegra), and Ultegra. (Does anyone remember wool cycling shorts?)

She wants to take move my old Shimano components to a frame set that fits her.
I have a lathe and mill for any required machining.

Does anyone have suggestions for jigs or tubes for a bike frame NOOB?

My default is steel, as that is what I knew and enjoyed when I was a younger man.

All suggestions are welcome.
I've done a google search and have come up with some data and recommended reads.
But, I really want to do this right.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Last edited:
If you already have the link for this one, you are golden, else, this is a good source for an online bike building cad software... free. AND an online archive of lots of bikes of different sizes and styles, commercial and indie designs. A great source for someone wanting to build a bike who does not yet understand all the geometry stuff :)
http://www.bikecad.ca/archive

HTH

Rich

Last edited:
Video from Welding Tips and Tricks on welding a bike frame.

[video=youtube_share;yT108iL-vMw]http://youtu.be/yT108iL-vMw[/video]

Daryl,

Stream of consciousness thoughts here.

Steel is the way to go for a noob, in my opinion. You can weld or braze, but do some practice joints first as the tubes are generally going to be .035 and overheat quickly. Look here for the Paterek Manual on frame building. The new version is a bit better, but this will give you a bunch of help in getting started. He also did videos that you can buy from him or rent from Smartflix.

I won't claim to be a pro, but my flickr album has quite a few photos related to building (I've done 8-9 so far.) Happy to answer any questions, but don't sweat a jig right now. You can draw the frame in CAD (Rattle CAD is bike specific and free), and hold the tubes in plane using vee blocks on their side.
6900168371_fef02f7a53_b.jpg

Bronze/flux and tubes are available from Henry James (super nice folks), or you can get tubes/dropouts/etc from Nova cycles. HJ is TrueTemper, so it's more expensive. Nova has Asian tubes as a house brand that are less expensive and they do "kits." Either place should be able to help you decide what to buy for your application.

Fixtures can be pretty simple when you get started. Even a ****ty bike can ride just fine, so don't get tweaked about .001" here or there.

There are a lot of builders in MN. Maybe you could get some instruction? Most of the guys are cool, and helpful.

It's fun to ride your own creation, for sure, so fire away.

My last completed bike. One for my 8YO:
7778562122_32050d148a_h.jpg
-Ryan

6900168371_fef02f7a53_b.jpg 7778562122_32050d148a_h.jpg

Amazing what you can learn , I would never have thought of flipping the Vee blocks over. All I have to do now is remember it!

I appreciate the ongoing input.
My daughter is asking when it will be done.....
I had to confess... I haven't started.

Thank you for the direction.

Daryl
MN

Like the lugs on the frame, is the bottom bracket shell a whole lug ?

Also very true about the line up accuracy, my first few jobs were junior mechanic in bike shops (well sales / fix simple stuff and see if u brake it then progress a bit was the very first) a lot of bikes that came from manufacturers had to have the scary looking frame bending tool used on them :-0 , nearly an inch out wasn't uncommon. Were talking reputable makers too.

a good line up method used string in the rear drop outs looped round the head tube, measuring distance of seat tube from each run of string.

an image of the first wheel jig i used has popped into my head, think it was made by campagnolo, defiantly in their style, maybe 1905 - 1930 big cast iron, best jig i ever used. Good to learn on for sure.

i never did do a snow flake pattern, humm maybe one day.

ok ok im rambling now I will stop. ;-)

Stuart

Back