First Bike Fram Build

Can I help get the project rolling by providing a 2D CAD plan? I can run the numbers and come up with something like this:
Example.JPG

You'd need your daughter's measurements, of course:
Rider Size.JPG
The results will also come with a pdf of miter templates you can print, tape to the tubes, and start cutting:
miters.JPG

It's a simple project, but there is a lot more to it than just sticking tubes together.

Example.JPG Rider Size.JPG miters.JPG

i never did do a snow flake pattern, humm maybe one day.
Stuart

What is "snow flake pattern" a reference to?

- - - Updated - - -

Can I help get the project rolling by providing a 2D CAD plan? I can run the numbers and come up with something like this:

The results will also come with a pdf of miter templates you can print, tape to the tubes, and start cutting:

It's a simple project, but there is a lot more to it than just sticking tubes together.

I'll take you up on the measurement help!!
I'm very familiar the pdf miter templates. They work well.
I appreciate "more to it than sticking tubes together" comment.
This is not going to be straight if I don't build and use a jig.
Controlling the heat is critical.

I'll be back to you with measurement numbers.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Ahhh sorry I did that thing of presuming about weird wheel knowledge ;-)

the shop I worked at was staffed by some enthusiastic wheel builders , we tried every pattern available.

I've pinched this picture from the web its not anyone I knows wheel, but it shows the idea.

image.jpg

You can vary the number of twists and it looks different with different rim hole numbers, more spaced out or denser, it's not recommended for rear wheel use but I've seen a lot on the rear and haven't heard of any problems. Unlike the guy that tried normal one side and radial the other on the rear, it didn't brake but he sure spent a lot of time making it straight again :) (daily)

Most difficult thing was the spoke length calculations, the pattern may be in the wheel builders handbooks now but I haven't looked in one in a few years. Also might be easier with DT revolutions as their triple butted the central section is very very thin, quite strong though as they managed to rip the flange of a hub i had (dropped bike further than it liked,whoops)

regarding radial , don't do it with disc brakes (i think we can all imagine why) ;-)

i know i was a bit off topic but custom frame needs custom wheels .

ow avoid aluminium nipples their rubbish. I once saw nearly a whole wheels worth give way simultainiusly, not as spectacular as the guy that blew his rim apart (along the line of the drillings) using a track pump but still quite impressive :)

By they way very impressed with all the frame builds.

Ok I will stop my nostalgic ramble now and let you get back to the serious job of planning bike builds ;-)

Stuart

image.jpg

View attachment 51475

View attachment 51476

Smudgemo,
Thank you for offering to do the calc. Didn't know how I would get the correct tubes and angles.

A: 64.5inches
B: 53inches
C: 29.5inches
D: 13.25inches
E: 20inches
F: 9inches

Daryl
MN

Okay, let me see what I can put together. But what kind of bike? Road race? Commute, comfortable, bike for 90% of riders (think Rivendell style)? What size wheels? 700c is normally associated with road bikes, but 26" might make for a more balanced bike if she's ~5'4". Are you building a fork or buying one? Best to get measurements from the actual fork you'll be using since it affects head tube angle which is just about the most important design point in my mind.

-Ryan

Re: First Bike Frame Build

Okay, let me see what I can put together. But what kind of bike? Road race? Commute, comfortable, bike for 90% of riders (think Rivendell style)? What size wheels? 700c is normally associated with road bikes, but 26" might make for a more balanced bike if she's ~5'4". Are you building a fork or buying one? Best to get measurements from the actual fork you'll be using since it affects head tube angle which is just about the most important design point in my mind.

-Ryan

I've already got a dozen 700c wheels I built 20years ago.
But, a 26" front optimizes handling and balance and generally makes more sense for fit.
I had her on her mothers 26"/700c Nishiki last summer. But, the top tube was too short and she couldn't stretch out.

She will never be Crit rider. She is beginning Med School next fall and hopes to use this ride for road/touring and a distraction from studying. She has dreams of training for another Tri. The concept of a cross-bike with its upright position promotes a "YUK" response from her.

I've got extra 170, 172, and 175 cranks laying around. My guess is 170 might be best.

A fork.... Hmmmm. The magic of a fork. I'd like to build. However, it my be good to start small.
Do you sell forks? You should get something out of this coaching!

Thank you!
Daryl
MN

Daryl,

Have her spend time soaking in the concept of full size bikes at Rivendell Bikes, and then give it consideration. The Learn section has a lot of info on why people buy bikes that are too small. I seriously doubt anyone not fancying themselves as a hard-core racer says yuk to the bikes they sell. My commuter was going to be smaller, but I got talked into a larger size by Grant and I'm really happy with it, so it's something to consider. I don't sell anything I make, so I can't help you with a fork, but there are plenty of types available. If you want to try building one, it's not terribly hard. I'll run the numbers on 26" that I would consider a good all-arounder and see what we get.

-Ryan

Daryl,

Have her spend time soaking in the concept of full size bikes at Rivendell Bikes, and then give it consideration. The Learn section has a lot of info on why people buy bikes that are too small. I seriously doubt anyone not fancying themselves as a hard-core racer says yuk to the bikes they sell. My commuter was going to be smaller, but I got talked into a larger size by Grant and I'm really happy with it, so it's something to consider. I don't sell anything I make, so I can't help you with a fork, but there are plenty of types available. If you want to try building one, it's not terribly hard. I'll run the numbers on 26" that I would consider a good all-arounder and see what we get.

-Ryan

I'll ask her to consider the Rivendell Bikes.
Thank you
Daryl MN

Sorry for the delay - busy week. I'll try to concoct some sort of basic plan this weekend for you to look at.
-Ryan

Sorry for the delay - busy week. I'll try to concoct some sort of basic plan this weekend for you to look at.
-Ryan

Smudgemo,
You are the one doing me the favor.
I'm patient!
Please take care of priorities, whatever they are.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Back