First Farm Boy Hit and Miss engine parts completed

I've been busy making more parts to the Farm Boy...

Here's the cam gear being machined:

Turning cam gear blank.jpgTurned cam gear blank.jpgcam gear spoke holes and magnet hole.jpgFinished cam gear blank.jpgcutting gear teeth.jpgfinished cam gear.jpg

John

Turned cam gear blank.jpg Turning cam gear blank.jpg cam gear spoke holes and magnet hole.jpg Finished cam gear blank.jpg cutting gear teeth.jpg finished cam gear.jpg

And the cylinder head, valves, springs (handwound) etc...

cylinder head machining 1.jpgcylinder head spark plug hole machining.jpgturning a valve.jpgCylinder head parts.jpg

assembled cylinder head 1.jpgassembled cylinder head 2.jpgCylinder head - assembled.jpg

John

cylinder head spark plug hole machining.jpg turning a valve.jpg cylinder head machining 1.jpg Cylinder head parts.jpg assembled cylinder head 1.jpg assembled cylinder head 2.jpg Cylinder head - assembled.jpg

And completed the flywheels (added the drive pulley):

Finished flywheels with pulley.jpg

John

Finished flywheels with pulley.jpg

Yesterday, I made the front and rear frames. I didn't take pictures of the machining process... Didn't have the camera on hand when I was hoggin'...

Frame FnR.jpgFrame - closeup.jpgFrame - parts together.jpg

John

Frame FnR.jpg Frame - closeup.jpg Frame - parts together.jpg

And here's a group photo of all the parts so far:

All so far.jpg

John

All so far.jpg

Looking great so far!

What size block of aluminum did you start out with for the frames?

Gary

I had some 3x3x3.5 blocks kicking around.

Last week I bought some 1144 Stressproff for the crankshaft. Got well into machining it and it was coming out very nice... Then I realized I overcut the crank journal... :bawling:

It is supposed to be 0.375 and I had 0.250 in my head. There's not enough left of the raw stock to start another. I was going to order a 3' length, but I cheaped out and bought 1' instead. The OAL of the crankshaft is 6.16" which doesn't leave me enough...

Oh well. I don't want a 0.250 journal, so I ordered another 1' 1144 bar from McMaster for $21.55. Should be here tomorrow.

John

I just completed the crankshaft and connecting rod.... Here they are.

John
Crankshaft1.jpg
Crankshaft.jpg
conn rod.jpg

Crankshaft.jpg Crankshaft1.jpg conn rod.jpg

Back