First Farm Boy Hit and Miss engine parts completed

Are you bringing this to Cabin Fever by any chance? I would love to see it and will be there!

Wow, that is some great work! I like working with 303 stainless, too.

Hi....VERY NICE!......Have you given any thought to the PM Research "Red Wing"?
Have fun...Casey

Thanks for all the good words so far! I will be going to Cabin Fever and will likely bring the part along, even if they sit in the trunk all day...

Here's the water hopper. I didn't take any pictures of the water hopper machining itself, but here are some shots of the water hopper funnel being turned. The circular boss sticking out is a separate piece shunk fit into the hopper after the water tank was bored out...

Turning the funnel on the water hopper 1.jpgTurning the funnel on the water hopper 2.jpgThe water bore.jpg

Here's the completed water hopper:
water hopper 1.jpgwater hopper 2.jpg

And a moment of triumph: a dry fit up of the frame parts, cylinder head, the cylinder sleeve, piston and connecting rod, water hopper and crankshaft...
dry fit.jpg

Next up was to make the split bearing for the big end of the rod. Didn't take any pictures of the actual machining but it went something like this:

Slit a piece of bearing bronze lengthwise down the middle. Then, glue them back together with CA glue. Next was turning them round to the specified OD, turning the groove, drilling and reaming to fit the crankshaft, drilling an oiling hole, and machining clearance slots for the cap screws.

Here they are: the ID will be "cleaned up" after they are installed in the connecting rod.

split rod bearings 1.jpgsplit rod bearings 2.jpg

And finally (enough work for today), fitting the bearings to the connecting rod, and the whole schmiel to the crankshaft. Here is a closeup of the split bearings and the connecting rod installed. The screws you see are temporary. All the pan head and Allen cap head screws will be replaced with miniature hex head screws later (after I make them!) If you look close, you can see the "Dutch" pins holding the two halves of the frame together. The frame is also pinned together from the sides. JB Weld was also used.

Conn rod installed.jpg Split bearings close up.jpg

"Houston, we have a problem"... Looks like I didn't cut the radius in the back of the frame deep enough. Oh well. A job for tomorrow I guess. At least I don't have to put metal back on!
Houiston, we have a problem.jpg

Cheers,
John

Turning the funnel on the water hopper 1.jpg Turning the funnel on the water hopper 2.jpg The water bore.jpg water hopper 1.jpg water hopper 2.jpg dry fit.jpg split rod bearings 1.jpg split rod bearings 2.jpg Conn rod installed.jpg Split bearings close up.jpg Houiston, we have a problem.jpg

Hi....VERY NICE!......Have you given any thought to the PM Research "Red Wing"?
Have fun...Casey

Thanks Casey. I may build that someday. It's rather large!

I've got to get a foundry setup going. I'd rather be able to say I made my own castings.

The Farm Boy has no castings. All is made from bar stock.

John

I am impressed, shopdogsam on utube can show you how to make it run.

Back