First foray into stainless steel

So, is 316 needed for this application?
Can't quite tell from your description. Are the washers in contact with the wort? Contact would mean immersion or being constantly splashed, not a one time oopsy.

If so, I'd go with the 316. If not, 303 is ok, and much easier to machine.

304 & 316 I think are both considered food safe. Haven't found a reference showing 303 is food safe, but haven't scoured the sources.

Yes, the washers are in constant contact with the wort.

Yes, the washers are in constant contact with the wort.
If it was me, I'd use the 316 then. Let us know how the drilling and parting goes. Fortunately, these are small pieces. I'd sharpen the parting blade, and lock everything down on the lathe tight. Keep inspecting the blade and sharpen as necessary. Hope they turn out well, so I can come down and have a beer! :drink:
;)

Okay, I just went for it and it seemed to come out pretty good. In the picture below is the pump partially disassembled showing the 1/4" shaft in the housing, the impeller and SS shield. The washer goes on the shaft and the impeller goes over that followed by the SS shield.

The original washer is on the bottom and looks black. It is badly corroded, not sure why. The left two washers are 303 and the right two washers are 316. I had a little issue getting the thickness correct with the first ones a little thicker than I wanted.

The 303 was definitely easier to machine and was almost like turning 12L14 or 1018. The 316 needed more pressure and wasn't as easy to turn. Drilling and parting were more difficult. I kept it flooded with cutting fluid which I think helped, but I'm glad I was taking off small amounts.

IMG_6211.jpg

Perhaps, but I was just using what the original manufacturer used.

Is Teflon food-safe?
Yes (teflon cookware). It is, however, fairly soft and will cold-flow (deform) under pressure.

Yes (teflon cookware). It is, however, fairly soft and will cold-flow (deform) under pressure.

When brewing, the wort is kept at about 150F. After mashing, the wort is boiled. So, the washer has to be okay up to 212F (100C).

Back