First Lathe for Learning

Rathmatik

Registered
Registered
Howdy,

I've been reloading for a couple of years and would like to get more into gunsmithing. My goal is to eventually be able to chamber my own barrels, but that is likely far off into the future due to space/cost reasons.

However, I'd like to start out with a small lathe for learning and doing small projects. I'm thinking I can also use this for small tools, etc. that might be useful for reloading. For example, it would be cool to make my own modified cases for the Hornady OAL gauge.

Currently, I'm interested in the Grizzly G0765 7x14 Lathe, https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-7-x-14-variable-speed-benchtop-lathe/g0765. Does anyone have experience or insight as to whether this would be a good option? I like that it's not the absolute cheapest you can get and it seems to have some improved features over the 7x10 and 7x12 lathes out there, such as the HF one and similar models. It seems there are some decent upgrade options as well to help it run smoother, etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You'll get a lot of good advice here. And even more help spending money ;)

Some common points:
1) Buy the best machine you can possibly afford, soon enough you'll want bigger/better.
2) There is a learning curve to deciding what works best for you
3) You'll spend at least as much money on accessories (tools) as you did on the original lathe

You'll get a lot of good advice here. And even more help spending money ;)

Some common points:
1) Buy the best machine you can possibly afford, soon enough you'll want bigger/better.
2) There is a learning curve to deciding what works best for you
3) You'll spend at least as much money on accessories (tools) as you did on the original lathe
Thanks! Haha yeah, I seem to get a lot of help spending money in the reloading world too.

Hi and welcome,

I know nothing about gunsmithing but if that's what you're interested in I would suggest getting a machine capable of doing that work. I think the sweet spot here is 12x36 or 13x40.

Yes, more money but as someone else said on here "you can't add iron"

John

Hi and welcome,

I know nothing about gunsmithing but if that's what you're interested in I would suggest getting a machine capable of doing that work. I think the sweet spot here is 12x36 or 13x40.

Yes, more money but as someone else said on here "you can't add iron"

John

Sure, I totally get that, but lack of space for something like the G4003G is the biggest limiting factor right now. Not sure how I could possibly get it inside my basement without ripping up the main level flooring lol. My garage is not ideal at the moment, lacks good insulation and such.

Sure, I totally get that, but lack of space for something like the G4003G is the biggest limiting factor right now. Not sure how I could possibly get it inside my basement without ripping up the main level flooring lol. My garage is not ideal at the moment, lacks good insulation and such.
Those are all issues others have dealt with on here so plenty of ideas and help available.

Also, lots of folks do the "learn on a smaller machine" thing and that's a perfectly reasonable approach. Just that you stated a use case that likely will require a larger machine eventually. Only you can make that call but plenty of members here have machines in their basements, at least gravity is on your side there ;)

John

Don't overlook buying used equipment. Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace can have some pretty sweet deals. As someone posted, you can plan on spending more money on tooling and tools than the base machine.

I'm guessing that if you are just first starting to learn and will probably want a larger machine down the road. And then you'll want a milling machine. And then you'll want a xyz. So my suggestion is to start off with a cheaper, used machine to start learning on. Pick up used tools and tooling as well. Once you get some experience you'll know better what machine(s) you want to end up with for your gunsmithing work.

I still use tools that I bought from retired toolmakers back in the 70's every day. Those older quality tools will last forever if you treat them properly. You can find deals on complete sets of tools for what a few new tools would cost. Also, invest in a few good books and watch a lot of YouTube videos.

A journey of a thousand miles.......

Have fun!
Ted

I may have milled out an AR receiver or two, but don't do gunsmithing myself. What I have heard though is that you'll generally want a lathe that can hold a barrel either way, i.e., between centers, or through the headstock. That usually means at least 30" between centers length, and a spindle bore of at least 1.5".

Obviously that is bigger than you're looking at right now.

Back