First mill advice

Litshoot

Registered
Registered
I'm sorry. I feel inshould have seen this topic many times over, I'm looking at a first mill to help with random work. I like the idea of using it to potentially gunsmith, make flanges, and parts for automotive and welding projects. I'm looking at used near south florida and not sure what's best.

I try for buy once cry once, but then again compromise can be better as well as growth. I'd like a dro, maybe powerfeeds. If it was large enough I know I'll have cylinder heads, intake, and exhaust manifold in it at some point. So here goes the questions.

I've found a bunch of option. Har or freight x1 set up for cnc, shop fox with dro, mid sized round post mills, then full sized mills. It's going in a garage next to my southbend jr lathe. 220 isn't a problem. Is there a negative to a full size knee mill other than size and weight. Are round column that much of an issue that a dovetail newish chinesium is better.

Thanks to everyone
Seth

For starters:
1. What's the largest piece of material you think you'll want to machine, in X, Y, and Z size?
2. What type of metals do you expect to machine?
3. Do you have a minimum level of precision and accuracy?
3. Budget?
4. How large is the available space?

1: no idea current work the x1 should be able to make individual flanges. Currently i figure intake exhaust flange would probably be 3x21, maybe 8 inches tall(blower manifold) or can set it up before complete. A full intake shouldnt be more than 14 inches tall (beyond most mills)
2: materials will be delrin, aluminum, 3 and 4 stainless. 4130 or 4140 on occasion. Nothing exotic. Really
3a:I don't actually know. I've always liked to be precise and have learned to cut back with welding. 1/16 is acceptable on a bed frame or gate. Gunsmithing seems to be couple thousand for most specs. I know going back and repeating passes without feed can overcome machine flexes well as polishing after for tight tolerance
3b: I dont really want to spend money that's why I'm looking. The x1cnc is setup with tooling for 600, 1400 for shoesmith m1116 sounds like a decent price a dream machine falls in my lap I could tap into paypal and use credit for few thousand more than I should be spending as a beginner on a hobby.
4: larger 2 car garage for the area, have a 9 foot ceiling, but I've wanted to remove the ceiling in garage for more storage and air space, not sure how town would react or how much permitting and I specting would be needed.

I like to have the best equipment because then I'm to blame. That said as I age I've learned that low end decent equipment with proper use can go beyond most normal needs

I have a Jet mill drill with the round column and overall the accuracy is fine machines nice but I wish I did not have a round column. You have to think through set ups to avoid major z changes. It works, I manage but would likely never buy another. Look for Taiwanese, usually worth the little extra and if you can afford, I would go for a knee mill. Not much different footprint than a bench mill on the base and gives you some added features. PM mills get great reviews, that will be my upgrade from my current mill drill. Good luck.

I have a G0755 that has done very well for me with the exact same use as you describe, but I'm going to move up to a knee just cuz....

PM mills get great reviews,
Thanks. That brand actually is big part behind why I've looked at older knee mills seeing them peices like a bench top model. I did see a large jet knee mill I believe for a decent price

I see people getting these amazing mills with tooling and vices for 2-3k but haven't found any near me. I think I might hold out for that. In the meantime get the sawzall in garage and make some room
Seth

I have a G0755 that has done very well for me with the exact same use as you describe, but I'm going to move up to a knee just cuz....
That's a big step up from the 3/4 horse shop fox

It'll get you where you want to go :)

If you have the room for a Bridgeport or clone, those can provide the best deals. They are very common which helps to keep the prices down and even the smaller models are plenty of machine for most hobby projects. Even with that there are many options with a BP style mill with the different versions, and sizes, belt driven vs variable speed etc.

You seem to be casting a fairly broad net, there are pros and cons to the many options for the mills smaller than a BP.

Small knee mills can demand high prices since they are not that common and are very popular with hobbyists.
The round column mills are often cheap, and pretty stout for their size but inconvenient to use since you have to indicate the head every time you move the head.
Large bench mills can be a good option, but not all that common on the used market.
Smaller bench mills can have rigidity issues and pretty strict size limitations so need to be closely considered against the work you want them to do.

Back