First mill advice

Just to make sure I understand. You are considering a CNC machine, a round column mill/drill, a sub 1000 pound knee mill, and a full size knee mill. You aren't sure what you'll use it for, but probably some engine (automobile) work. And you want to know what people suggest. Is that all accurate?

Just to make sure I understand. You are considering a CNC machine, a round column mill/drill, a sub 1000 pound knee mill, and a full size knee mill. You aren't sure what you'll use it for, but probably some engine (automobile) work. And you want to know what people suggest. Is that all accurate?
Correct. The cnc and round column are both under 1k, they automotive work rrlates directly to tig welded manifolds. If I could cut out the flange from 3/8 stainless that's fine. A larger machine give me the advantage of cleanup cut after I finish welding to the flange. Making flanges too thick for my cnc plasma table to cut well
Seth

If you can find a nicely used Bridgeport or one of it's clones, with power X and Z , that would be optimal. You can do tiny work and engine work, too. You'll want X and Y DRO (digital readout) but don't reject a perfect mill if it's missing, can always be installed post purchase. That would be my choice, given room and budget.

Don't be afraid of the clones, all of them are acceptable for hobby work.

Not clearly stated, but I believe the situation is the OP is mentioning some of the used mills available in the area and trying to get a feel for which would be suitable. I think that combined with inexperience is why there is such a wide range of machines mentioned.

Not clearly stated, but I believe the situation is the OP is mentioning some of the used mills available in the area and trying to get a feel for which would be suitable. I think that combined with inexperience is why there is such a wide range of machines mentioned.
Pretty much. 3 are in budget and seem to be more towards hobbyist vs holding out for full sized. The x1 is big enough to handle what I need now, and may be the choice while I look. Searches have turned up Bridgeport's with tooling for 2k, but 1500 miles away. Perhaps a truck would be a better purchase to be able to pickup a deal.
Seth

Pretty much. 3 are in budget and seem to be more towards hobbyist vs holding out for full sized. The x1 is big enough to handle what I need now, and may be the choice while I look. Searches have turned up Bridgeport's with tooling for 2k, but 1500 miles away. Perhaps a truck would be a better purchase to be able to pickup a deal.
Seth

I didn't pick up on that the first read through, but thought that was the case. The initial read it appeared you were asking what to watch for, but now I see you are trying to figure out if one of these that is available and in budget would work for you.
It is easy to forget how steep the learning curve is for somebody new coming into this, even from the point of somebody like me who is still pretty new to this.

If the price is right, the round column mills are pretty capable, just slower to use than a square column mill with dovetail ways since you need to re-indicate much more often. Lots of people here have them and like them, some hate them. As long as you don't mind the added work they don't seem to be a terrible first mill and can often be found for $1000-1200 or less.

I didn't pick up on that the first read through, but thought that was the case. The initial read it appeared you were asking what to watch for, but now I see you are trying to figure out if one of these that is available and in budget would work for you.
It is easy to forget how steep the learning curve is for somebody new coming into this, even from the point of somebody like me who is still pretty new to this.

If the price is right, the round column mills are pretty capable, just slower to use than a square column mill with dovetail ways since you need to re-indicate much more often. Lots of people here have them and like them, some hate them. As long as you don't mind the added work they don't seem to be a terrible first mill and can often be found for $1000-1200 or less.
appreciate the advise, thats about where the price is on round columns enco?, durabrand, and one other. I'm thinking with as scattered as my hobbys are i would probably be moving the column for probably most every use. cut a flange from 3/8 plate, then face cut it with a 2-4 inch stub welded to the backside. Thats the one idea that restarted the search for a mill.

Well I'm NO expert. But you come across as a guy who knows what he knows pretty well. And you're already familiar with cnc, which I didn't realize. But you don't seem to be doing "hobby" work. I mean to say you do the same thing many times, and have expectations to do many more of those things. I think you'd be best served with a knee mill. If you have a garage, there's probably not a space issue. Moving the head on a round column is not a non issue. Even those who love what they have, had to do something to make it work the way they like. I don't have a knee mill. But I've used a knee mill. I suggest a knee mill. Stretch the budget further. Put another grand towards the cause. And really I'm not too far away from saying just buy a new mill on credit if you have too. Do you want to be working on your hobby stuff? Or working on an old mill? It can take a lot of time and money to get an old machine working well. If I had it to do over again, I'd have waited and bought a knee mill. I only bought the round column out of convenience. It was a package deal, all at one location with a way to load it all. I'm always thinking I made a mistake there.

As a round column mill owner I just want to clarify one thing. You don’t have to indicate the head every time you move it up or down. Depending on the operation you may be able to move it and cut away. What you lose when you move it is alignment to your part. So you may have to use your edge finder again to set up on your part. If that is what you meant by indicating then spot on. Just don’t want people thinking you have to fully dial in the head each time. That would be beyond cumbersome.

Well I'm NO expert. But you come across as a guy who knows what he knows pretty well. And you're already familiar with cnc, which I didn't realize. But you don't seem to be doing "hobby" work. I mean to say you do the same thing many times, and have expectations to do many more of those things. I think you'd be best served with a knee mill. If you have a garage, there's probably not a space issue. Moving the head on a round column is not a non issue. Even those who love what they have, had to do something to make it work the way they like. I don't have a knee mill. But I've used a knee mill. I suggest a knee mill. Stretch the budget further. Put another grand towards the cause. And really I'm not too far away from saying just buy a new mill on credit if you have too. Do you want to be working on your hobby stuff? Or working on an old mill? It can take a lot of time and money to get an old machine working well. If I had it to do over again, I'd have waited and bought a knee mill. I only bought the round column out of convenience. It was a package deal, all at one location with a way to load it all. I'm always thinking I made a mistake there.
did you do a youtube video about this? ive been trying to research and found a video that sounds similar getting a lathe from a guy and a mill for the if you can move it today its yours. im having some of those growing pains of used vs new with the cnc plasma, mostly with the lack of factory support or training. Im really trying to find a package deal which is where my search will lead me in time, although im leaning towards the little cnc for now while waiting for a package. Can also use it to engraving or small repetitive bushings, and parts.
seth

Back