First mill advice

Buy a Bridgeport or a clone full size.
Your post says you will be needing it.
A round ram Bridgeport will work fine for what you do.

did you do a youtube video about this?
Not me. I've got two YouTube videos online and they were both made so I could get some remote feedback on what I was doing.
I made a bull run after an overnight shift with a borrowed truck and trailer. The guy selling it was near deaf, near blind, could barely walk, and introduced himself as Leftie. I asked what he wanted for just the lathe. I didn't want the RC mill. He carried on for a good while about what he'd done in life, and how to get ahead. He seemed to take a shine to a younger guy being interested in machine tools. I knew he'd bought it all brand new, and that would have cost him near $9k. I also knew there was no way it had seen any use, judging by his condition. The only thing I could get out of him as regards to him selling the stuff was "you can take it all for this price." So...I did.
If you're leaning towards the cnc, then you probably ought to get that. Best to follow your gut. I didn't and wish I had. The RC mill is really fine. I just wanted something different to begin with.

Not me. I've got two YouTube videos online and they were both made so I could get some remote feedback on what I was doing.
I made a bull run after an overnight shift with a borrowed truck and trailer. The guy selling it was near deaf, near blind, could barely walk, and introduced himself as Leftie. I asked what he wanted for just the lathe. I didn't want the RC mill. He carried on for a good while about what he'd done in life, and how to get ahead. He seemed to take a shine to a younger guy being interested in machine tools. I knew he'd bought it all brand new, and that would have cost him near $9k. I also knew there was no way it had seen any use, judging by his condition. The only thing I could get out of him as regards to him selling the stuff was "you can take it all for this price." So...I did.
If you're leaning towards the cnc, then you probably ought to get that. Best to follow your gut. I didn't and wish I had. The RC mill is really fine. I just wanted something different to begin with.
Cnc is cheapest most versatile I found. that said it I like the ability and feel of a big solid knee mill. We had one we set up for robotics class in high school and it was fun. Then again the little cnc is good practice for future upgrades anyone, just 450 mile trip to get
Seth

Back