First mill chips

Get the DRO first, it makes life so much simpler and costs half of what a power feed does. I have been playing with the idea of a home brew power feed made from bits and pieces. With a little planning I think I can make it work.

Or, convert your mill to CNC and get both both power feed and DRO at the same time. That's what I'm in the process of doing.

It is nice to have the power feed on the left if you are right handed so when you do manual feed it is more natural and comfortable movement.

How was tramming in the vise?

I actually didn’t tram the vise. That’s on my to-do list :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only had my mill for a little longer then you and it's such a joy to do even drilling holes and lining the tap up. Sure beats the old 1/2 drill in a stand lol

Congrats! Now you can start the process of learning about the cutter grabing the work piece while climb milling, conventional milling, chatter, backlash, boring holes, power tapping..........and on and on! Pay close attention to what is happening as you machine things and learn cause and effect. How to do things like reducing burrs on the edge of you work piece, get better finishes, squaring up a block, as I said before "and on and on". One thing you will learn is that climb milling makes it easier to crank the table, just be carful that you don't overload the cutter. Most of all enjoy the ride.

Richard

You are on your way David.
Drilling holes with a sturdy mill is awesome but for quick and easy, you can't beat a drill press.
I was going to avoid buying a drill press, but...... :)

First tram the head to the table, carefully, in both X and Y axes. Only then start thinking about the vise...

Indeed. Thanks Bob, that’s my plan. I’m hoping that the original shims will put it tram. Fingers crossed!

You are on your way David.
Drilling holes with a sturdy mill is awesome but for quick and easy, you can't beat a drill press.
I was going to avoid buying a drill press, but...... :)

Thanks, I certainly feel like I’ve entered a new world.

Or, convert your mill to CNC and get both both power feed and DRO at the same time. That's what I'm in the process of doing.
Are you converting a round column mill?

Back