First Order Retrieve-ability

1676642673882.png

I have one of these hanging off the side of my mill. Was there when I got it. It works well for collets, because it is screwed to the side of the mill and the bulk of the collet weight is below the support point. I have no worries about it falling over and scattering collets when bumping into it.

First, I'm wondering if something similar can be done for drill bits, so that they're not teetering on a shelf.
Second, does anyone know what the extra slots and holes in these racks are good for? I've not been able to find a single picture with them holding anything other than the 13 collets, and the other areas used as a tiny shelf.

View attachment 438018

I have one of these hanging off the side of my mill. Was there when I got it. It works well for collets, because it is screwed to the side of the mill and the bulk of the collet weight is below the support point. I have no worries about it falling over and scattering collets when bumping into it.

First, I'm wondering if something similar can be done for drill bits, so that they're not teetering on a shelf.
Second, does anyone know what the extra slots and holes in these racks are good for? I've not been able to find a single picture with them holding anything other than the 13 collets, and the other areas used as a tiny shelf.

My drill bits are in a 4x4 block or mt2 drill stand. Not teetering on a shelf at all. They aren't easy to knock over or dislodge. They aren't in the way while loading the machines. They are within a couple steps of my machines are easily retrieveable.

View attachment 438018

My best guess would be that the slots outboard of the collets are for storing wrenches or suchlike ... and the holes in the inner "shelf" area look like a handy place for a dial or digital caliper.

Last edited:
With each tap size I keep the correct drill bit in the same location. Someday I will do something similar with my reamer's.

Years ago I built this drawer that fits in the dead space under my drill press. It holds my drills sets in a sliding shelf and under neath is some of the odds and ends.
PierreIMGP0798.JPGIMGP0799.JPG

Back