First post. New Member

Get your priorities straight... There's noting wrong with having a mill in the kitchen. With the right attachments, it can also be used to knead bread, scramble eggs etc... Open your mind a little and start seeing the big picture if you want to hang-around here. ;)

"Honey, what's that on the kitchen counter?"

"I upgraded the kitchenaid, it needed more power."

"Why are there metal chips all over it?"

"That's decorative, it's all the rage these days."

Welcome and have fun at it. I started out small (Sherline) but have moved up in size (kept the old small stuff for some jobs) And pick up what I can when I can. My used RF30 has already been put to work making things. Just have to plan how to do some things But not as bad as doing them on a smaller lathe and mill.
People learn not to walk around in my area is socks or bare feet. :big grin: it also keeps them out of the way.
Convince them that the little chips a new kind of glitter for decorations.

I've made cuts 20 inches long on my PM25, but that's full travel. I grew up (skill wise) on Bridgeports and Lucas horizontals, even a Kearny & Trecker vertical, but my PM25 is big enough for my hobby work. Precision Matthews had a good range of small mills, any of which would be good starter tools, depending on how deep your pockets are. Anyone here with their products will recommend them.

Hey new guy , hi and welcome , here to help if needed. As you know small lathe small work. So go as big as you can afford or house. If you have good electric up to 220 your set. RPC will make three phase. YUPP it's always the same story my machines not big enough or stout enough . Same with mills.

Get your priorities straight... There's noting wrong with having a mill in the kitchen. With the right attachments, it can also be used to knead bread, scramble eggs etc... Open your mind a little and start seeing the big picture if you want to hang-around here. ;)

Well... my lathe is in between the kitchen and what was a breakfast nook. Behind that there is a reloading bench (rifle and pistol). To the left of the lathe there are books, lots of primers, "some" powder... you know... household items. I live in the country so by the time the fire department got here I think the powder and primers will have "dissipated". My sister thinks I've lost my mind. My brother-in-law says he would put a mill where the books are :grin:

This workbench is in my living room :grin:

p2689759705-4.jpg

I'm 6 months away from turning 60 and single. I am at the point where I have to make a choice... build new shop and stock it with fun stuff or find a young wife that can keep up with me (or at least make me think she's trying to keep up with me. Sometimes it's about what you believe not what is). Right now the shop is winning. I think it would be cheaper

The visors and microfiber cloths on the left side of the pic are covering a gun vise. At one time I thought I would enjoy building AR's. That got expensive quick! And it's not that challenging so I moved on. The vise is still handy to have. I'm sure everyone has a vise in their living room...

Last edited:
Sorry... One bedroom is a ham shack (aka radio room) and the other is storage for projects :) It keeps the kids from wanting to move back if there's no place to sleep. I don't know what I'm going to tell them when the shop is built and all of my toys are outside. I guess same as always... no :cool:

Sorry... One bedroom is a ham shack (aka radio room) and the other is storage for projects :) It keeps the kids from wanting to move back if there's no place to sleep. I don't know what I'm going to tell them when the shop is built and all of my toys are outside. I guess same as always... no :cool:

A man after my own heart.

Wife won't hardly set foot in my garage due to the delicate aroma of varnished gas and welding fumes. Problem there is it's unheated and Maine has been known to get a tad nippy around this time of year.

I've resorted to the subterfuge of doing the laundry for her as the washer and dryer are in the basement and there are things down there I'd just as soon she didn't inventory, ifyouknowhatImean...

When I assume room temperature, it will be "Funeral at 1pm. Yard Sale commences at 3pm..."

I don't like to think about which event will be better attended. :eek 2:

When I assume room temperature, it will be "Funeral at 1pm. Yard Sale commences at 3pm..."

I don't like to think about which event will be better attended. :eek 2:

In my case I know full well, the later. :D

That's fine with me, I'm a quality over quantity kind of guy, particularly with people. Which limits the number of people I can stand to be around. :D

Back