First real parts!

I do use HSS, in a lantern toolpost even (I dislike that thing, much prefer the turret format), so the angles make sense. That IS a steep rake, almost sounds like an aluminum cutter! I'll make one tonight and try it out this weekend.
I also use the 4-way tool post a lot. I have several types of tool posts, and use all of them at one time or another.

almost sounds like an aluminum cutter!
That is exactly what it is, but you can take very fine cuts with it, and improve your finish. If you take slightly deeper cuts, it will dull or fracture the cutting surface quickly.

@DeadGuyAle , the back plate was a solution borne of frustration. The 1-7/8"-8 spindle nose pitch as a standard is as dead as last week's cabbage, and plates and accessories for it are as unobtanium as any of the rest of the 10L/R parts. I occasionally see chucks with backing plates going for $500 on up, or dog plates, and CDCOTools.com has a 5C collet chuck with semi-finished backing plate in that pitch, but not with their 3-jaw, nor do they sell the backing plate by itself.

I am well aware that blank plates exist, as well as cast iron round slabs, but a) having no chuck at home, if I didn't have access to a lathe at work I couldn't thread it, and b) I've never threaded before, so I didn't want to spend $30-50 on a plate or slab and bugger it up. I found the nuts at McMaster through a random web search for that thread pitch, and concocted the solution over time. Originally I was just going to butt-weld the nuts to the plates, but worried that the torque (and overhang) would eventually cause it to fail, so I devised the bore and fit job. I could have done the nut work at home, but the breakage of the toolpost hamstrung me. At that point, I managed to secure approval to use the tooling at work, which helped a lot.

All this jiggery-pokery goes hand-in-hand with the lathe itself. It's as swaybacked as an old mare, possibly beyond recovery due to years or decades of neglect (look for my first post to see a pic of the , and may not even have enough extra material left to be able to be planed or ground back into shape. In keeping with my limited budget and the extremely low price I paid for the lathe, I'm keeping all my purchases to a minimum not only to keep it on the cheap, but to teach myself to be creative as well as frugal with my solutions.
Mc Master strikes again.

My dad was a huge fan . Always lookked at the thick brick catalog growing up. One Catalog I remember “ If we dont have it, you dint need it”

Yes, turning the clutch clockwise. It turns forever and never locks up, which is why I said there's something wrong, either the clutch hub or shaft is stripped, or one or both of the shoes are missing. Yes, it's in the right mode; actually, it works just as well in both modes (that is to say, not at all). When engaging a mode the clutch knob does turn, which tells me a) the worm gear is in the apron, b) the key is in the worm gear, and c) the shaft from the clutch knob to the hub is not broken. Beyond that, why the clutch drum does not transfer the power to either feed gear is yet a question that will not be answered until I strip the apron down and find out.
Heres where a lot of learning comes in. Fixing and fine tuning your lathe.
Auto Repair by Trade : Fix anything mindset. Been digging into my Smithy 1220 and theres very little support for parts,

The Utube has helped greatly. Now 30 plus years of fixing and working on all sorts of stuff , I have become pretty good at seeing “bad info”
Heck im sure my few low level videos are crap, lol. I dont post them to inform just show how or what I am dealing with.

As I get deeper in struggling witn some of the math.

I will add also there seems to be a bit of a disconnect in “how to “
The people with a lot of experience.
Retired longer than some experienced people have been working lol.

Well they seem to help you with in the limits of your tools and skills better vs some that just say your lathe is useless and you cant do that.
Im a work with what you have type.
Be patient if its just a hobby , walk away if frustrated and come back to it. Took me several tries to get this thing made up. Uggh pics not up loading?

Finally pictures working again Took me a bit to get this crank for a magnetic chuck finished. I managed to get it on the first try.

Picked up the chuck for scrap price .07/lb

Works great for what I have planned for it. No precision grinding on it thats for sure

Attachments

• IMG_4221.jpeg
    IMG_4221.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4231.jpeg
    IMG_4231.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 9
Life happens.

Finally got some time to work over a couple weekends. It's actually round, and actually true. Runout is less than 0.001, I've not hooked up my DTI to know exactly by how much.

This first pic is old, the face is actually almost mirror-smooth now. The OD wound up a hair under that of the chuck because I was tuning out some slag damage to the rim. The hub is sized such that the chuck requires a rubber mallet to drive it on and off the plate- not a lot of mallet, just some. After LOTS of measurements (second pic- all that mess, and lots more besides on scraps of paper and backs of random envelopes), I've got the bolt circle marked with a trepanning bit and the proposed bolt locations center punched, and it all measures out. I found out my old Craftsman 15.5" floor drill press runs 0.037" out of true, so I'll be borrowing the neighbor's mill to drill the plate. Maybe Sunday.

About fed up with the lantern toolpost. Bought two dirty turret posts for cheap on ebay, both too tall, but I couldn't bring myself to modify them so they're cleaned up and back on ebay now. Got one from a SB group member from his 9C that is almost perfect, and I ordered a set of indexable cutters for it. Yes, if I had a spare couple hundred bucks I could have gotten a QCTP, but if I had wings I'd save on gas, too.

Nick

Attachments

• Back plate.jpg
    Back plate.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 7
  • ChuckNotes.jpg
    ChuckNotes.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 7
Life happens.

Finally got some time to work over a couple weekends. It's actually round, and actually true. Runout is less than 0.001, I've not hooked up my DTI to know exactly by how much.

This first pic is old, the face is actually almost mirror-smooth now. The OD wound up a hair under that of the chuck because I was tuning out some slag damage to the rim. The hub is sized such that the chuck requires a rubber mallet to drive it on and off the plate- not a lot of mallet, just some. After LOTS of measurements (second pic- all that mess, and lots more besides on scraps of paper and backs of random envelopes), I've got the bolt circle marked with a trepanning bit and the proposed bolt locations center punched, and it all measures out. I found out my old Craftsman 15.5" floor drill press runs 0.037" out of true, so I'll be borrowing the neighbor's mill to drill the plate. Maybe Sunday.

About fed up with the lantern toolpost. Bought two dirty turret posts for cheap on ebay, both too tall, but I couldn't bring myself to modify them so they're cleaned up and back on ebay now. Got one from a SB group member from his 9C that is almost perfect, and I ordered a set of indexable cutters for it. Yes, if I had a spare couple hundred bucks I could have gotten a QCTP, but if I had wings I'd save on gas, too.

Nick
I have a few pages of layout scribbles for my backing plate also. Tackling projects a day here and there I had my 4 jaw for almoT a year before I even picked ip some material to play with.

I used aluminum for now.

Attachments

• IMG_4041.jpeg
    IMG_4041.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4042.jpeg
    IMG_4042.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4046.jpeg
    IMG_4046.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4045.jpeg