First time milling ER32 collet size question

I was just looking at a video on this...

@wachuko

Interesting... Had not seen that video, but good to know I am not the only one that knows about that.

That Rego-Fix video is also interesting and informative.

I must be in the minority. I have never had any trouble tightening my ER32 collets with the standard nut.
I never had an issue tightening the standard nut either; but I have the bearing nut I prefer it because I would rather not place torsional load on the collet and tapper it seats in when tightening it.

Interesting comparison...

Interesting but do we think the difference in lifetime between the ball bearing nut and rego-fix's friction bearing nut is that relevant to hobby usage?

I know rego-fix invented the ER system and are probably the best source of information but their videos are probably aimed at production type shops rather than us dilettantes! :grin:

Interesting but do we think the difference in lifetime between the ball bearing nut and rego-fix's friction bearing nut is that relevant to hobby usage?

I know rego-fix invented the ER system and are probably the best source of information but their videos are probably aimed at production type shops rather than us dilettantes! :grin:
Not for me... I am fine with the regular ER nut for my hobby use. But it is so easy to get caught in the frenzy of buying another gadget...

Not for me... I am fine with the regular ER nut for my hobby use. But it is so easy to get caught in the frenzy of buying another gadget...

It's not about "buying another gadget" for me. It is about ensuring proper grip of the material in the collet as well as extending the life of my collets through minimising wear.

Yes, the plain nut has its place when machining thinwall tube, other than that, the bearing nut is always used.

Just to clarify, the use of dilettante was an exaggeration for humorous effect :big grin:

@SouthernChap Hence why I used the laughing emoji. I did indeed see the funny side of it ;)

Sometimes, the intent of humor is hard to translate to the written word as it lacks the audible inflection it needs.

It's not about "buying another gadget" for me. It is about ensuring proper grip of the material in the collet as well as extending the life of my collets through minimizing wear.

Yes, the plain nut has its place when machining thin wall tube, other than that, the bearing nut is always used.
I wrote that because I ended up buying one for the ER32 and for the ER40 setups that I have :D

I wrote that because I ended up buying one for the ER32 and for the ER40 setups that I have :D

I must admit, I had though about going for an ER40 system, but decided to stick to the ER32. For now......

Back