First time milling ER32 collet size question

I must admit, I had though about going for an ER40 system, but decided to stick to the ER32. For now......
I was clueless... I ended up with several ER sizes simply due to ignorance... Had I known then what I know now, I would have done ER40 in all my machines... I think that I have ER20, ER32, and ER40

I was clueless... I ended up with several ER sizes simply due to ignorance... Had I known then what I know now, I would have done ER40 in all my machines... I think that I have ER20, ER32, and ER40

In all honesty, I have rarely, if ever, use the 25mm collet for my ER32. When I need to hold larger OD round stock, I **may** consider an ER40 faceplate. Until then, the ER32 is doing me well enough. Need I mention I am over £400 into the ER32 system and that I do not want to revisit that stretch of road with the ER40 system if I can avoid it?

Last edited:
I have both but my collection of ER40 is limited to larger sizes.

Honestly? if I did choose to go with ER 40, I would start at 1" / 25mm and upwards to save duplication of the ER32 collets, not to mention some serious £££ that could be better spent on other tools or tooling (like I don't have enough tools already! who needs 5 drills?)

*** EDIT ***

Just looked at the ER40 range of collets... 3 to 26mm.... Well, I already have 0.5 to 26mm ER32 collets (can grab a photo if needed), so going ER40 would be a pointless exercise. I would therefore be looking at ER50 to get the 25 to 32mm range. Considering that for the backplate, spanner & 12pc collet set I would be looking at £400+ and I have no need for that much accuracy at those sizes yet, I will stick to running a 4JIP chuck and suck up the time it takes to dial the stock in.

*** EDIT ***

Last edited:
Honestly? if I did choose to go with ER 40, I would start at 1" / 25mm and upwards to save duplication of the ER32 collets, not to mention some serious £££ that could be better spent on other tools or tooling (like I don't have enough tools already! who needs 5 drills?)
I ended up with the ER40 because when I purchased my Lathe I wanted a collet chuck and the ER40 was what they had so I bought that and a set of 15 collets. I already had a set of ER32 collets from when I was using my drill press as a mill, I had a MT2 ER32 collet for it and now I have a MT3 and R8 er32 collet chuck as well for my late tail stock and mill. The set of ER32 Collets I have are 25 piece Accusize starting at 1/16" going up to 3/4" in increments of 1/32" which have a run-out of around .0001 worse case. Then I went down the rabbit hole even further and bought a set of R8 collets which starts at 1/16" and go up to 1" at 1/32" increments through 5/8" then 1/16" Increments up to 1" which has cut down on my use of the ER collets on the mill.

It's not about "buying another gadget" for me. It is about ensuring proper grip of the material in the collet as well as extending the life of my collets through minimising wear.

Yes, the plain nut has its place when machining thinwall tube, other than that, the bearing nut is always used.

@SouthernChap Hence why I used the laughing emoji. I did indeed see the funny side of it ;)

Sometimes, the intent of humor is hard to translate to the written word as it lacks the audible inflection it needs.
I was talking about buying the rego-fix friction bearing nut as opposed to a standard decent quality ball bearing nut.

I was saying that the former was probably an unnecessary spend for a hobbyist and a standard decent quality ball bearing nut would suffice.

For some, even a decent quality plain nut would be fine, depending on how much they used their collet chuck.

@ddickey

Photos of the 25-24 (thats the one with the boss from an old handwheel sat into it) and 26-25 (still wrapped) collets as they sit in the collet box. Still a few metric to acquire, but with the Imperial set, I can already cover the missing metric ones ;)

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg
1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I must admit, I had though about going for an ER40 system, but decided to stick to the ER32. For now......
I went with ER32 as I got a boatload of them and collet noses for the lathe in a deal I made.

Now I just need collet blocks for them.

Back