Fixing an uneven repaired cross slide

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
So I had been noticing that when setting tools to the tail stock they were miles from center at the headstock. Also the compound would get tight or loose when rotating.

I confirmed with a level that rotating the compound changes the pitch. Taking it apart I found that it’s been repaired. The repaired side is about .011” low.

What would be recommended for repair? I was thinking fly cut it down till flush and clean?

Would I indicate it in off the non damaged parts?

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    625 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 45
You could use a DTI mounted on a bar between centers to measure and log the cant of the compound mount surface relative to the ways by rotating the bar to find high & low spots at 4 90 degree points. Move the carriage in X, (9:00 & 3:00),for 2 points, then Y, (12:00 & 6:00), for the other 2 points. Something like my crude sketch. Then flycut or rotary table on mill.
More than likely the welding warped the carriage.

Attachments

• IMG_3676.jpeg
    IMG_3676.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 9
That's such a small amount you could almost file it down depending on how much area needs lowering
But yes flycutting would work too

That's such a small amount you could almost file it down depending on how much area needs lowering
But yes flycutting would work too
When you add the offset length of the tool tip it’s substantial. I think I’ll see about picking the level of the un damaged part.

Also the repaired section is the low section so I need to lower all the surrounding surface. Would be easier if it were the other way.

Just make the top parallel to the cross slide ways. And if that is nickle weld, you could have it surface ground.

When you add the offset length of the tool tip it’s substantial. I think I’ll see about picking the level of the un damaged part.

Also the repaired section is the low section so I need to lower all the surrounding surface. Would be easier if it were the other way.
Does not need to be 100% clean up. 80% will work.

I'd probably cheat and use some JB miracle weld
(it is, after all, America's finest cold weld) :cupcake:

The issue is when one of the lock down bolts for the compound are in the low spot it causes a twist. For some reason I was thinking that the bottom of the cross slide wasnt an accurate surface. I had a think about how the dovetail pushes it against the bottom and that made me realize that that would be a valid reference surface. I just need to figure out how to hold it down as the edges of the compound are cast surfaces. Maybe bolt it to the table through the lead screw nut bolt and some hold downs on the side.

Reactions: rwm
Yes^^^. Fly cutting should improve it substantially. What is that black screw in the center?

Yes^^^. Fly cutting should improve it substantially. What is that black screw in the center?
I dont know lol. I kind of feel like it is helping old that broken piece. It looks like maybe it was crashed and it ripped the tee bolt up breaking the castings

Back