FJ1200 bucket list item

great white

Active User
Registered
So back in 1983, I was lusting over pics of the 1984 FJ1100.

It was THE superbike to have at the time. Sure, there was the 900 Ninja and the VF1000F, but the big Yammy juuuust edged out the Ninja and the VF (while a heck of a superbike) just couldn’t catch the FJ. Suzuki had the big GS, but that old girl (while still pretty damned fast!) was just out of its depth in this company.

But alas, I was in high school and couldn’t pull together enough scratch to get one. I ”settled“ for a VF750F interceptor (was also a heck of a sportbike), but the FJ was always in the back of my mind.

Over the years, the desire only got worse, but an FJ always seemed just out of my reach. The ex-wife was a big part of that….and while not the only reason, its part of why she’s the “x” wife.

Then, when searching for a Venture, I came across a 1989 fj1200. It was old, it was beat up and honestly it was probably a half step away from being scrapped. But it was 800 bucks and about an hour drive from the Venture I was going to go look at, so a “viewing” must be made!

The missus (current missus) knows the FJ is an item I had always wanted but never got. I showed her the ad and she told me to just buy both!

Back off boys, she’s taken!

So I borrowed a larger trailer and the wife and I loaded up to go see the bikes two provinces away.

The FJ was indeed in hard shape. It was stored in a ramshackle shed about 30 yards from the atlantic ocean. It would run if I hot wired it, but not well and not long. No smoke, which was a good sign. The odo had been rolled at least once and it showed 80,000-ish on the dial so it was a good 150,000 kms more than most of my bike purchases. Rust was everywhere and it was genuinely a junkyard dog. Bad respray, broken panels everywhere and just generally neglected all around.

27473DBB-DBB3-46CB-B0C1-EF13B868127F.jpeg

The pic makes it look waaaaay better than it was.

But it was an FJ and for the most part, complete. After a bit of a conversation, I slip the guy 800 bucks and load it on the trailer. Turns out I got a call from the guy the next day to see if I wanted to sell it back to him. Seems a buddy of his wanted the engine for a legends car. Yeah…nope. Mine! I’m not letting this FJ be sacrificed on the legends car alter like so many others!

We unloaded it once back home:

20FA41FA-D9CE-4AF0-81A2-FCC0143976BD.jpeg
It was ride-able as it was, so I just rode it that summer:

21972B9C-DB80-4124-BFBA-18EAF1B47964.jpeg

Mostly just to get a feel for what it needed.

It was nirvana! That engine, even though pretty ragged, pulled like a freight train from right off idle. The handling was typical early/mid 80’s superbike, meaning slow by todays standards and you had to give it a good wrestle into the corners. But once set into the curve, it was like it was on rails. Great fun!

but after that first summer, it was obvious the bike needed some attention.

First up was replacing the cracked/broken plastics. Ebay served up useable spares.

Wheels and tires were next. I sourced an ultra rare fzr750R front wheel, which slots right in:

D654C8CB-B0D2-4F8A-8CDF-F9957BEFE301.jpeg

40F77755-A935-4F8B-B3BE-7EFDBE339F8C.jpeg
I cannot stress how hard it is to find one of these wheels. Only availabke a couple years, limited number imported and most that hit NA shores ended up on the track.

The rear was a different story. Most guys just go with a gsxr rim which bolts right up. But while it looks very close, it just doesn’t quite match the yammy front wheel. after some digging, I ended up going with an fzr1000 rear rim:

1AFE6EF7-6DD5-47E1-883E-C64A7DE85113.jpeg
Another hard to find piece. The 17” rim only cane on a couple yeats before the yzf obsoleted the fzr. Adding to the scarcity was the fzr1000 cane with an 18” wheel for most of its run and the 17“ was only a few model years before the yzf took over.

It took a lot of work to get it to fit, but well worth the effort to swap the 16” rim for the modern 17” rim.

Then I decided a stronger swingarm would be good. Took an fz1 swingarm and cut it down to fit:

4A1CBEB6-9F03-4F7A-A038-DD01C3039096.jpeg
709D81DF-7879-4078-9DDC-F16928F4A8BC.jpeg
0D5C0663-9FF2-4120-85DA-7C9DFE48C19D.jpeg

CB107EB0-4E22-4BE6-8342-A9F396025031.jpeg
looks great and much stronger than the original arm.

The rear shock was pretty much shot. its a non-rebuildable unit, so replacement was the only option. Or was it?

I’ve always liked the cbt600rr rear shock. High quality, rebuildable, easy to get parts for and a dime a dozen.

So I took one apart, cut it up to install a remote reservoir, added a hydraulic preload adjuster from a kawi zg, a higher rate spring and a re-valve for the new spring rate:

9339EF0E-39DB-453C-BC2E-85B7987200F6.jpeg

C35B4CEC-18AF-4B57-88A2-ED14780B3642.jpeg9EA6CEF1-B56C-4091-BD35-FA90FAE01A5D.jpeg2B40AE20-CF5B-49F5-913E-22BA14055F65.jpeg6F2F8927-8B52-427A-A877-0E623E6C15EA.jpegEE79A6AF-6351-4B00-8A11-F11C15628608.jpeg
the mufflers were in decent ahaoe, but they didn’t fit right (from a different year) and you could see the skin starting to crack and split. So I dug up an okd set of kerkers and refurbed them:

82E9A07F-1343-48CA-AAFC-05C007D56BC0.jpeg5F5128F9-22FD-42EA-9918-B49B53203E39.jpeg

to be continued….i can only two finger tyoe for so long and then need a break!
lol!

Last edited:
Outstanding rebuild! I ride your bikes grand son....a Gen III FJR. Looking forward to more posts!!

Great Work!
This is obviously a labour of love for you, congratulations on finally getting one.

The missus (current missus) knows the FJ is an item I had always wanted but never got. I showed her the ad and she told me to just buy both!

Back off boys, she’s taken!

She's a keeper!

Brian

Outstanding rebuild! I ride your bikes grand son....a Gen III FJR. Looking forward to more posts!!
More like first cousin. Liquid cooled, fuel injection, shaft drive, full fairing, etc.

The XJR1200/1300 is the direct descendant of the FJ, despite the fact that later models were FI and a dual rear shock setup.

I've actually bought some replacement parts for my FJ that are XJR parts. Things like the clutch master, instrument cluster crystal, rubber bits, etc. You can even upgrade some parts by using XJR items. First thing comes to mind is the primary chain oil nozzle, which was redesigned in the XJR engine so it doesn't scrape the primary chain as it wears, etc.

;)

Last edited:
The FJ 1200 was called the flying pig. the bike was over 500 pounds
Mine the 1987 FJ 1200 was the fastest production bike made at the time, and rated 130 hp, pretty much a 12 second quarter mile.
And known for 2nd gear problems, same as the V max
Mine was all animal.. but was boring to drive on the street.
I drag raced mine, first run I qualified for pro class,, lol ( barley ) Great fun on the track.
Street, Ya i was going to go to jail I like going fast,, and the bike at the time pretty much out run everything .
Mine was bought by a collector and Shipped to Australia.
The FJ 1200 is also the engine used in the legend race cars.

The FJ 1200 was called the flying pig. the bike was over 500 pounds
Mine the 1987 FJ 1200 was the fastest production bike made at the time, and rated 130 hp, pretty much a 12 second quarter mile.
And known for 2nd gear problems, same as the V max
Mine was all animal.. but was boring to drive on the street.
I drag raced mine, first run I qualified for pro class,, lol ( barley ) Great fun on the track.
Street, Ya i was going to go to jail I like going fast,, and the bike at the time pretty much out run everything .
Mine was bought by a collector and Shipped to Australia.
The FJ 1200 is also the engine used in the legend race cars.
I've never heard it called "the flying pig". Yes, it tipped the scales over 500 lbs, but pretty much all the hyper bikes did when it was released in 84.

2nd gear problems were caused by the shift forks/face hardening and ran MY's 84-87. 88/89 they were revised and no longer a problem. I say 88/89 simply because while the rest of the world got an 88 FJ, the USA made do with left over 87 models. Vmax problems were also gone by around 86-87. The problem with Vmax second gear was the same as the Venture12: soft thrust washer on the end of the output shaft. It wore and allowed the cogs to move sideways too much, which allowed it to pop out of gear. Older models could be fixed with a revised thrust washer. I know, I fixed enough of them.

Lots of bikes topped the FJ12 by 87 for top speed, including Yamaha's own 1000:

Yamaha FZR1000 "Genesis"1987-1988158.4–160 mph (254.9–257.5 km/h)

The FJ12 topped out around 150, 155mph at the most. The FJ's claim to fame at that point was low and mid range rpm torque. Roll on the throttle and it would walk away from nearly any other bike. Shift down a gear and you better have a good hol don the grips as it might rip them out of your hands. That's why it was considered "king sports tourer" by most at that point.

I mentioned in the first post this bike was rescue from being cannibalized for a legends car....

Don't get me wrong, i love the old lump. But I'm also not blind to it's "shortcomings", which are really only evident if you try to compare it to sporting gear in a different class or newer machines.

Stack it up against an FZR or GSXR of similar time period and no, it can't keep up on a twisty road. Bu tit will stay close enough that if those riders make one mistake/bobble, we're going by and they're staring at my tail light for the next couple curves at least.

But here's the thing: those twisty roads are very seldom right out your back door, so you have to RIDE to get to them. Some of those roads are an hour or more away. That's pure agony on a bike that makes you look like a monkey effing a football.

I show up on the FJ fresh and ready to turn and burn. Someone on a GSXR is going to want to get off for a coffee for an hour after we ride TO that twisty road.

FJ is older and slower, but that means you can ride it longer and harder (that's what she said! Lol!)

"Apples and oranges"....

Last edited:
New a guy that had one (1100) back when. It was definitely a very fast bike at the time. Looks like your having fun getting it where you want. That's half the fun for me also. Cheers, Mike

Back