FJ1200 bucket list item

I've never heard it called "the flying pig". Yes, it tipped the scales over 500 lbs, but pretty much all the hyper bikes did when it was released in 84.

2nd gear problems were caused by the shift forks/face hardening and ran MY's 84-87. 88/89 they were revised and no longer a problem. I say 88/89 simply because while the rest of the world got an 88 FJ, the USA made do with left over 87 models. Vmax problems were also gone by around 86-87. The problem with Vmax second gear was the same as the Venture12: soft thrust washer on the end of the output shaft. It wore and allowed the cogs to move sideways too much, which allowed it to pop out of gear. Older models could be fixed with a revised thrust washer. I know, I fixed enough of them.

Lots of bikes topped the FJ12 by 87 for top speed, including Yamaha's own 1000:

Yamaha FZR1000 "Genesis"1987-1988158.4–160 mph (254.9–257.5 km/h)

The FJ12 topped out around 150, 155mph at the most. The FJ's claim to fame at that point was low and mid range rpm torque. Roll on the throttle and it would walk away from nearly any other bike. Shift down a gear and you better have a good hol don the grips as it might rip them out of your hands. That's why it was considered "king sports tourer" by most at that point.

I mentioned in the first post this bike was rescue from being cannibalized for a legends car....

Don't get me wrong, i love the old lump. But I'm also not blind to it's "shortcomings", which are really only evident if you try to compare it to sporting gear in a different class or newer machines.

Stack it up against an FZR or GSXR of similar time period and no, it can't keep up on a twisty road. Bu tit will stay close enough that if those riders make one mistake/bobble, we're going by and they're staring at my tail light for the next couple curves at least.

But here's the thing: those twisty roads are very seldom right out your back door, so you have to RIDE to get to them. Some of those roads are an hour or more away. That's pure agony on a bike that makes you look like a monkey effing a football.

I show up on the FJ fresh and ready to turn and burn. Someone on a GSXR is going to want to get off for a coffee for an hour after we ride TO that twisty road.

FJ is older and slower, but that means you can ride it longer and harder (that's what she said! Lol!)

"Apples and oranges"....

I've never heard it called "the flying pig". Yes, it tipped the scales over 500 lbs, but pretty much all the hyper bikes did when it was released in 84.

2nd gear problems were caused by the shift forks/face hardening and ran MY's 84-87. 88/89 they were revised and no longer a problem. I say 88/89 simply because while the rest of the world got an 88 FJ, the USA made do with left over 87 models. Vmax problems were also gone by around 86-87. The problem with Vmax second gear was the same as the Venture12: soft thrust washer on the end of the output shaft. It wore and allowed the cogs to move sideways too much, which allowed it to pop out of gear. Older models could be fixed with a revised thrust washer. I know, I fixed enough of them.

Lots of bikes topped the FJ12 by 87 for top speed, including Yamaha's own 1000:

Yamaha FZR1000 "Genesis"1987-1988158.4–160 mph (254.9–257.5 km/h)

The FJ12 topped out around 150, 155mph at the most. The FJ's claim to fame at that point was low and mid range rpm torque. Roll on the throttle and it would walk away from nearly any other bike. Shift down a gear and you better have a good hol don the grips as it might rip them out of your hands. That's why it was considered "king sports tourer" by most at that point.

I mentioned in the first post this bike was rescue from being cannibalized for a legends car....

Don't get me wrong, i love the old lump. But I'm also not blind to it's "shortcomings", which are really only evident if you try to compare it to sporting gear in a different class or newer machines.

Stack it up against an FZR or GSXR of similar time period and no, it can't keep up on a twisty road. Bu tit will stay close enough that if those riders make one mistake/bobble, we're going by and they're staring at my tail light for the next couple curves at least.

But here's the thing: those twisty roads are very seldom right out your back door, so you have to RIDE to get to them. Some of those roads are an hour or more away. That's pure agony on a bike that makes you look like a monkey effing a football.

I show up on the FJ fresh and ready to turn and burn. Someone on a GSXR is going to want to get off for a coffee for an hour after we ride TO that twisty road.

FJ is older and slower, but that means you can ride it longer and harder (that's what she said! Lol!)

"Apples and oranges"....
LOL i was thinking the 87 fj had worlds fastest production Title .
No winding roads here,,, And never had the pleasure cornering that bike.. To me where I live the roads are boring pretty much hi planes dessert straight roads . Hiway 140 from Nevada to Oregon is or at times 211 miles without open gas station at night and iffy during the day.
Go as fast as you want, normally not patrolled, but loaded with all kinds of animals and large fling bugs.
All of the Nevada side is go as fast the bike go or as fast as you dare.
Only the last 60 miles has turns in them but most are high speed turns, regardless me and that bike never seen any corners to speak of.
Main reason I took it drag racing locally.
The FJ 1200 didn't fit me, I very much like twisting the throttle but 6.2. and lean more on the touring/ bagger style of bikes.
Use to be a FJ 1200 engine builder in PA, I think Pittsburg. He was bumping the engines up to 1440 if that is interest to you.
Good luck,, keep the rubber side up

LOL i was thinking the 87 fj had worlds fastest production Title .
No winding roads here,,, And never had the pleasure cornering that bike.. To me where I live the roads are boring pretty much hi planes dessert straight roads . Hiway 140 from Nevada to Oregon is or at times 211 miles without open gas station at night and iffy during the day.
Go as fast as you want, normally not patrolled, but loaded with all kinds of animals and large fling bugs.
All of the Nevada side is go as fast the bike go or as fast as you dare.
Only the last 60 miles has turns in them but most are high speed turns, regardless me and that bike never seen any corners to speak of.
Main reason I took it drag racing locally.
The FJ 1200 didn't fit me, I very much like twisting the throttle but 6.2. and lean more on the touring/ bagger style of bikes.
Use to be a FJ 1200 engine builder in PA, I think Pittsburg. He was bumping the engines up to 1440 if that is interest to you.
Good luck,, keep the rubber side up
They were once the top of the heap, in 1984. Torpedoed amid ship by several bikes by 86 and turned into being marketed as a "sports tourer".

that woudl be RPM motorsports. I deal with them several times a year.....great source for FJ parts that are NLA. He started off mostly selling to the legends cars crowd and eventually started carrying FJ stuff. He also is the site owner for FJowners.com

Last edited:
Back