Follow up question - Huanyang VFD - How to change Output Voltage - PD141 ??

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
This is a follow up VFD question, thank you all for helping with that one.
I have wired a Huanyang 2.2 KV VFD to 220 single phase and connected a 2 HP Bridgeport Series 1 motor. The AC input connects to RS, T is open, and to ground. The 3 phase output connects to the 3 inputs of the motor. I am very confident the motor is wired correcltiy, I have checked it against the wiring diagram on the motor body.
The motor runs and frequency control appears to work. However the power output is very low. I measure only about 50 volts on the 3 phase output. This is also the reported value from the A-ROTT display The voltage is uniform across the three phases.
I have tried to adjust pd 141 but there does not appear to be any effect.
I am expecting more power out. (The motor drive plate is attached to the shaft. on the bench I can easily slow the motor with my hands.)
There are no error codes displayed. I have set the HZ output to 60.
I can enter set and navigate to pd 141, however I am upable to change the values. Hopefully the is a simple missing something.
(Output current varies depending on load, up to about 3 amps. Input voltage shows about 320, it does not vary with load.)
This appears to be an output voltage setting issue. How can PD141 be changed?

You need to set PD141 through PD144 to the motor nameplate values. See pages 23-24 from the attached manual above.

With the VFD on
Key sequence as follows:
PGM
UP ARROW to PD141
PGM
UP or DOWN ARROW to change value
SET to lock value
UP ARROW to PD142
and so on.

When the values are set, shut down the VFD, wait until all the lights go out, and power up again.

Thank you. I have managed to figure out how to read the display and set values. That part is now working.
I set the upper value voltage to 220, the upper current to 6, and the poles to 4. Those values all took. However, the behavior did not change. The AC voltage remained about 50V. With no load the current was about .1 A. RPM was about 1700. If I placed load on the motor the current went up but the output AC voltage remained the same. The DC voltage never dropped.
Clearly there should be a condition where the VFD should be putting out close to 220V AC. The motor is performing more like a .1 HP motor then a 2 HP motor.

Unless you are using an oscilloscope to measure the voltage you are not getting an accurate reading, as far as I know there are no multimeters that will properly measure a PWM waveform.

The VFD will only apply enough current (torque) to spin the motor at the set rpm. As the load goes up, the power requirement will increase and the voltage (and thus the current) will increase as needed.

With some slip comp plugged in, I would expect that motor to turn at around 1800 RPM @60Hz with no load. Adding slip comp should tighten it up a bit.

If your VFD has sensorless vector mode, then get that setup and your machine will be happy.

The voltage is what is reported by the VFD, it also matches the digital multi meter. I am pretty sure the 3 phase output voltage is low. The issue is power; this setup is behaving like a 1/10 HP electric fan motor instead of a 2 HP mill motor.
To your second paragraph above the voltage is not increasing sufficient to maintain the correct RPM when load is added. At abot 60 HZ the VFD reports just under 1800 RPM - that part is working. What is not working is the VFD increasing voltage to maintain RPM when a minor load is added. I can easily slow the motor down and voltage does not go up.

That sounds a bit odd. My best guess is that there is still a setting or two not correct. Exactly which VFD do you have, and a link to the manual would be good also.

You are welcome to bring the motor and VFD over to my shop if you are unable to get it worked out.

A link to a compatible manual is below:
Mine is the 2.2 KW version. The instructions are almost identical.
I have read through it and do not see any limiting functions. One of the displays is the AC voltage, it is stuck at about 40 V. If I increase the RPM that voltage goes up. Is there anyway the VFD is ste to a base frequency other than 50/60?

Looks like PD004 is base frequency and goes 0 to 400 hz

First let's look at your motor wiring. Assuming a standard 9 lead motor:
U or L1 to 1-7
V or L2 to 2-8
W or L3 to 3-9
4-5-6 connected together, and to nothing else.
GND to motor case

Then set up the VFD parameters
PD003 = 60
PD004 = 60
PD005 = 90
PD006 = 2.50
PD007 = 20
PD008 = 240
PD009 = 13
PD010 = 6.5

PD014 = 5
PD015 = 5