Foredom speed controller

Grinderman

Registered
Registered
I picked up a Foredom flex shaft tool a a garage sale recently that came with a foot pedal. Everything works fine but I would like a desk top rotary speed controller also. Foredom sells them but are pretty expensive, more than I paid for the whole unit. The motor is a 115V brushed unit. The switch inside the foot pedal doesn’t look like anything special. Could I use something like a router speed controller or ceiling fan device, dimmer switch etc. without damaging the motor?
thanks for any info

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpeg
    IMG_3025.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 10
I picked up a Foredom flex shaft tool a a garage sale recently that came with a foot pedal. Everything works fine but I would like a desk top rotary speed controller also. Foredom sells them but are pretty expensive, more than I paid for the whole unit. The motor is a 115V brushed unit. The switch inside the foot pedal doesn’t look like anything special. Could I use something like a router speed controller or ceiling fan device, dimmer switch etc. without damaging the motor?
thanks for any info
That should work, I’ve used a lighting dimmer with a similar motor. I believe this motor type is called “universal” and can run on either AC or DC.

John

I use a router speed control on my Foredom and it works great. The router speed control seems to work on anything that has brushes too. I use it on my big ol HF pipe threader I use to power my beader too and tried it on my die grinder too.. My Foredom came with the foot control but I never use it.

There is also a 3D print on Thingaverse that uses the foot control as a desktop controller. It has a knob, etc....

Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to go with the zero dollar option and came up with this. It works well and can be swung out of the way to use the foot pedal as usual if needed. I instead used the money to buy an AXA 1” boring bar holder for the handpiece to use as a light duty tool post grinder.

Attachments

• IMG_3030.jpeg
    IMG_3030.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3031.jpeg
    IMG_3031.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3032.jpeg
    IMG_3032.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 13
Where did you find the AXA 1” boring bar holder? Or did you go the hi $$ route and buy an Aloris? Always wanted to quick way to attach my Foredom to the lathe.

Where did you find the AXA 1” boring bar holder? Or did you go the hi $$ route and buy an Aloris? Always wanted to quick way to attach my Foredom to the lathe.
I didn't think they made 1" boring bar holders in AXA. I did a CAD model and it is possible, but it isn't beefy.

Edit: Aloris makes a version that takes a 1" bar, but it is the version that uses screws that squeeze the bar at the edges. I'd rather have the AXA-4D style with the slit. Guess I will have to machine my own holder if I need a 1" bar.

Last edited:
If you look at Grinderman’s it is the slit type. This is also the type I’d be interested in. That is also plenty beef for what I’m thinking of. This is not a HD set, more finish grinding.

Back