Forums: How did I miss that

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I am an avid reader here. I try to read most of the new posts in topics I am watching / have posted in. I look out for what's new. But I keep finding I am missing a ton of posts, that I didn't go back far enough, or just passed me by. When I view the Alerts it shows me stuff I read already, and there doesn't seem to be a way to just see posts I haven't read. Sometimes I miss a great project someone puts up... There's gotta be a better way...

Under the "Forums" tab there is a button called "New Posts" This will show all new posts since your last visit.
Then when you are done reading what interests you there is a button "Mark forums read" (Top Right) that will reset so the next time you come here the "New Posts button will only show all of the posts since your last visit. If you do not use the clear posts button it will show all posts since your last visit and then under a separate heading will show post that you may have already seen.

This is what I use all the time. Most forums have something very similar. I even have my shortcut se to boot right into the "New Posts" screen.

Under the "Forums" tab there is a button called "New Posts" This will show all new posts since your last visit.
Then when you are done reading what interests you there is a button "Mark forums read" (Top Right) that will reset so the next time you come here the "New Posts button will only show all of the posts since your last visit. If you do not use the clear posts button it will show all posts since your last visit and then under a separate heading will show post that you may have already seen.

This is what I use all the time. Most forums have something very similar. I even have my shortcut se to boot right into the "New Posts" screen.
yes I have used the new posts, I don't see a big diff between it and what's new. But again, still missing things.. I have the shortcut for new posts also.

What bugs me is that I subscribe to a thread, and yet the email notifications will end after a while. Once I find the thread again, there are usually new posts. It might be a Firefox thing. I did have the mods look into it but did not come up with a resolution. I don't think it is just this forum, however, because a 3D printing forum that I am on does the same thing.

Maybe set up a search for topics you usually are interested in?

As the forum grows it moves faster, I’ve noticed the same thing and I don’t know if it’s an algorithm, or just me only spending 5 hours every day looking at it:laughing:

In either case I do appreciate the time I get to spend here with you folks. Just have to remember to sleep and eat…

John

What bugs me is that I subscribe to a thread, and yet the email notifications will end after a while. Once I find the thread again, there are usually new posts. It might be a Firefox thing. I did have the mods look into it but did not come up with a resolution. I don't think it is just this forum, however, because a 3D printing forum that I am on does the same thing.
same here.. Chrome.

I have had approximately the same issue in the past.
The Admin(s) didn't find any solutions were available in the software/settings.
To minimize the problems, I have tried to be diligent in how I use the forums.
I try to be sure that I've read all the way to the bottom of the available pages before moving on. It might be helpful to refresh your browser before leaving the current thread to be sure nothing new has been posted, but not yet appeared on the monitor. For example, you follow an "Alert" to a reply and read to the bottom of the page, however you don't notice there is an additional page to the thread, so you don't go to the next page. I think you won't get another alert for that thread until the software thinks you've read it through to the bottom. You will eventually see the thread in "What's New" and wonder why you haven't received alerts. I also suspect that there are timing issues. I have seen threads that I'm "Watching" pop up in "What's new" but I have received no "Alert". I suspect that the "Alert" doesn't appear instantaneously when new content is posted. I have no idea what the magnitude of the delay is. YMMV.

Evidence: I posted the above reply about 15 minutes ago and set the thread to "Watch" (without emails). Ten minutes later I refreshed my browser but still saw the thread in "What's New", even though I was the last reply.

When you are done looking at stuff for the current session are you clicking on the "Mark forums read" button? That is what places the marker to tell the forum where you left off. Refreshing the page will reload the page with the same time marker that was there. I do not use Chrome or Edge, they are to invasive for me, always spying whether you have them running or not. Firefox still does spying but is not as actively mining me for information even when it is not being used. Or if Firefox is doing the same info mining they are much better at hiding it.

So this is a perfect example. My last notification was Jeff's (post #6). I did not receive any notifications after his post, which was the last one I read.

Back