Found: Looking For a Box Made For a Machinist Level

This could be an interesting opportunity to machine your own. I made a couple of boxes for for some custom pens for gifts a couple of decades ago. I used a walnut log that had been split and dried.
If you can't find a ready-made box or don't wish to make one, we can custom-make one for you out of walnut, mahogany, birch, or even pine.

It would be of any construction you like, but our favorite for machine tools is box joint construction. A couple of examples- a walnut box for gauge blocks and a pine, birch, and bamboo box for mini-pallet hardware.

This could be an interesting opportunity to machine your own. I made a couple of boxes for for some custom pens for gifts a couple of decades ago.

Looks good. I keep eyeing the mill and the ever-growing stack of lumber near it. What sort of cutter and speed did you use?

What sort of cutter and speed did you use?
Wood bits are best, and cheap, even some carbide ones. Run them at the highest speeds your metal working machines can go. You can also run sharp end mills and such, and they will work, too, at high speeds, just not such a good finish.

Wood bits are best, and cheap, even some carbide ones.

I shoulda guessed that router bits would be the way to go. When I first got a bench lathe, I made a stab at turning wood using the metal tools. After a splintery ruin, I went out and got some hand-held wood turning tools, which worked great.

Looks good. I keep eyeing the mill and the ever-growing stack of lumber near it. What sort of cutter and speed did you use?
It was a long time ago and I can't really remember for sure. I used my mill/drill which has a maximum rpm of 2580. Judging from the radii, it appears that I used a 3/4" carbide router bit for the bulk of the stock removal. I probably used 1/8" or 3/16" HSS router bit for the small interior radii. This was before I had CNC capability so The exterior radii were finished manually although I might have used my DRO arc cutting feature to rough them out.

HSS router bits would work best with the relatively low spindle speed a mill has. Might be hard to find them now days, haven't bought one in decades, everything is carbide now.

Greg

Thanks to @bill70j I now have a beautiful walnut box for my Mitu level. Even though I wasn't concerned about having a tight fitting box, the original wasn't either & neither is my China level, Bill made it fit perfectly. The box joints are a nice touch. I couldn't have asked for a better made box. On top of that he finished the box in only a few days! Thanks again Bill!

Bill, you did a beautiful job on that box! Will's old box looked like it got bounced across a freeway or something but his beautiful Mitutoyo level now looks perfect in that new box. My Starrett tool maker's flat sits in a custom box made by a master cabinetmaker, my best friend, and I treasure that box. I'm sure Will will, too.

Bill, you did a beautiful job on that box! Will's old box looked like it got bounced across a freeway or something but his beautiful Mitutoyo level now looks perfect in that new box. My Starrett tool maker's flat sits in a custom box made by a master cabinetmaker, my best friend, and I treasure that box. I'm sure Will will, too.

I sure will! And I will never forget.... you for finding the level, Bill for making the box, & my lil brother for picking it up for me since he was much closer to the seller.

Funny, as beat up & useless the original box is, I still haven't thrown it away yet. :confused 3:

Funny, as beat up & useless the original box is, I still haven't thrown it away yet. :confused 3:

Come on, Will, a man has to have some pride! Besides, the masking tape hinge is pretty ghetto if you ask me.

Back