Four Day Work Week starts on July 1st :)

For most of my 20 year career at my last job, (the one I retired from), we worked 6 months of 5/8, and the other 6 at 4/10.
The day where we went from one to the other was always a big deal. Sleep schedules were just one part of it.

I would have worked 3/13 with no lunch/break time if HR would have let me:grin:

Many years in construction I worked 4/10's. I loved that schedule. Now i own my company and work a lot more than that.

Been doing so since the pandemic started. Cannot go anywhere so spreading my vacation over as many Fridays as I can. We work half days on Friday so I can get 40 Fridays off. Love it, hate to go back to regular week next year.
Pierre

I love retirement, regret I didn’t do it earlier.

Ironically, I have found that my to do list has grown correspondingly LARGER. Shop projects, home remodeling, farm work, gardening and landscaping, all seem to have expanded disproportionately. I have no clue how I kept up while working, and that was only a few years ago.

Our CPA says I’m fine to retire at 65 but, “we won’t be taking out SS until you are 66 and a half”.
Oh really? How am I going to supplement my wife’s pension in the mean time? I guess we are digging into investment funds. Ouch.
I may meet him in the middle and take the payments at 65 1/2.
Every month after that it’s another $16 a month.

Our CPA says I’m fine to retire at 65 but, “we won’t be taking out SS until you are 66 and a half”.
Oh really? How am I going to supplement my wife’s pension in the mean time? I guess we are digging into investment funds. Ouch.
I may meet him in the middle and take the payments at 65 1/2.
Every month after that it’s another $16 a month.
I read somewhere recently (maybe CNBC?) that the social security payments are based on an outdated life span expectation of 76(?) years. With people living longer the benefits of waiting longer to collect gives you more money overall. The problem is that the first few years post-retirement tend to be the most expensive, as people want to travel, or move to a (new) retirement home, etc.

I read somewhere recently (maybe CNBC?) that the social security payments are based on an outdated life span expectation of 76(?) years. With people living longer the benefits of waiting longer to collect gives you more money overall. The problem is that the first few years post-retirement tend to be the most expensive, as people want to travel, or move to a (new) retirement home, etc.
They have my dead at 82

In Canada
My advisor has brought up the idea of tapping my investments until 70 where I can get maximum pension benefits, it is a 36% swing from 65. The advantage is reduced tax rate before the pension bump and where any unused funds can be placed into a tax sheltered account for use later. Travel can be expensive but after 75 years old can be troublesome for most and usually it is cheaper after that until the final move into a home or paying for full time live in caretaker.
Pierre

I just turned 62 in April . Setting up to get out of the rat race as we speak . I'll get a reduced SS payment but who cares . I'm sure I won't be traveling the world at 86 YO . I have plenty of projects to keep me busy and will build equity thru them . I could never pass SS payments over to the children , but the retirement accounts and properties will go to them . I'm taking the ball and running with it . Tomorrow's are not promised . I do have many offers to work up to my $18,500 limit before being penalized . I feel much better having the chance to make $75 an hour under the table though . Plenty of work out there to do it .

Back