FreeCad - really just getting started

Hmm, on video #2. Made the fish. But, for some reason, the polyline doesn't connect at the tail. And the lower vertical line at the body (by the tail) is stubbornly connected at the x-axis. Cannot seem to join the tail to the body. For the constraint, there's a dot with the x through it. I want to join the ends of the lines together. Do I click the end point on one line, then shift click on the other line and click the 0x (x over a big dot) constraint icon?

How come if I save the file, I exit edit mode? This is extremely annoying - it took a long time to figure out how to turn on edit mode again!

Getting there but it's painful. Picture to help show what I mean.Screenshot from 2022-01-05 13-39-03.jpg

Click on each of the red endpoints that aren't connected. Then, click on the red tool icon with the dot in the center and 45 degree lines radiating. That will connect them.

I don't see any constraints on the X-axis. If there were, you would see an arc with a dot in it. See below.

1641409179753.png

When you are drawing the final segment of the poly-line, hover the mouse over the origin point until it turns yellow and finish the segemnt. While the point is yellow, it is selected, and the final segment will be attached to it.

Click on each of the red endpoints that aren't connected. Then, click on the red tool icon with the dot in the center and 45 degree lines radiating. That will connect them.

I don't see any constraints on the X-axis. If there were, you would see an arc with a dot in it. See below.

View attachment 391008
Apparently one doesn't shift click for the second end of line - although the end does become green. Click one, click the other, constraint works. Weird. Solved the join the polyline issue.

Unfortunately, the vertex at the tail is still somehow constrained to the x-axis somehow. There was the constraint on it like you show in the post, but I thought I disabled it by unchecking the box in constraints. And I just found out that does not work! You have to delete the constraint, not just uncheck the box. Sorry - that's not intuitive. I would expect unchecking the box would be sufficient.

Well, can continue with video #2 now. Is there any way to get rid of the gradient of the background? Find it very annoying. The top of the screen is darker than the bottom. Didn't see an option for this in preferences.

When you are drawing the final segment of the poly-line, hover the mouse over the origin point until it turns yellow and finish the segemnt. While the point is yellow, it is selected, and the final segment will be attached to it.
Thanks - another good tip!

To remove gradient, click Edit->Preferences...

Then, click on Display on the left and the Colors tab on top. In the "Background color" groupbox, select "Simple color".

To remove gradient, click Edit->Preferences...

Then, click on Display on the left and the Colors tab on top. In the "Background color" groupbox, select "Simple color".
Thanks. Just found that a second ago... That helps. The gradient make me feel like my eyes are failing. Might be good for viewing a 3d object, but just entering a sketch it is not so good.

Back