Further Down the Rabbit Hole, or Plasma Cutters, MIGs, and Chop Saws oh my!

Big no-no there. At least here the understanding of DOT regulations disallow pressurized cylinders in enclosed vehicles. I am imagining it really applies to fuel gases, but no LWS will sell you a bottle of any gas to put in your car....trunk or back seat.
Was wondering about that, but the welding shop seemed quite confident. If there's a restriction on gas cylinder transportation, how do people deal with O2 bottles for healthcare? Surely they can be transported in an enclosed vehicle? Is there a size below which it's ok?

Mega bucks is relative to income. :) I was referring to cold cut saw in the abrasive chop saw line up, or the metal cutting saws with carbide teeth blades.
The standard abrasive chopsaw turns at about 2500-2800 RPM. The saws using carbide teeth are high torque turning at 1400-1450 RPM. Since I don't do this for a hobby from an income point of view, I chose quality and most of the metal cutting saws are all close to $500 with the blades at $100. All carbide teeth are not equal. The Evolution blade I have has been sharpened once already and I'm still using the Jancy blade with 200+ or more cuts. Of course I can't rule out a chipped tooth on the Evolution which will take out the next two or three.

The thought of a cold saw (consumer version carbide blade) is much more attractive than an abrasive saw, but I think a little bandsaw is best for my needs right now.

If I were choosing an inexpensive horizontal band saw I would go with an Ellis. Understanding this is a hobby for you then the next best thing is to spend the money for good blades. I think Bob already called out a few brands but my go to for years has been Lenox. Again, speed/feed/teeth per inch/coolant. I'm fortunate to have business acquaintances who have CNC saws I can use and buy a blade occasionally.
Will check out the Ellis. A good blade is definitely on my list. I like Mike's modification to his HF saw--seems like a decent, big table and some improved/tweaked guides would go a long way toward making it a good saw.

The Miller or the Lincoln welders will suit your needs. I mentioned duty cycle because it's overlooked and most of the cheap imports overrate their duty cycles. If you're running .024 solid wire and need to weld something heavier that a 1/16" just use a propane torch to preheat. It's possible to pass a destructive bend test on 1" plate with the small machine, but it isn't a practical choice and again duty cycle comes into play. If you wish to go with the welder without purchasing the shielding gas bottle, flow meter (I prefer flow meter over a gauge), hoses etc. you can go with the self-shield (fluxcore) and shave off a few hundred $$. The fluxcore isn't as clean but it produces a good weld and has better penetration.

I definitely want shield gas. I was hoping I could get away with just Ar, but it seems a mix is necessary for steel to get a consistent arc.

Probably a "turn their back so they don't see" and therefore aren't responsible. If they load it for you, it might change things.

Was wondering about that, but the welding shop seemed quite confident. If there's a restriction on gas cylinder transportation, how do people deal with O2 bottles for healthcare? Surely they can be transported in an enclosed vehicle? Is there a size below which it's ok?

I've wondered about that too, as well as plumbers and AC guys who carry small torch sets in vans. I've never asked, since I don't have a small set. well, I inherited a "b" bottle of a Prestolite torch set. My uncle only had a work van to transport it, so it may have something to do with size. I'll find out when I use it up I suppose, though I will probably be in my work truck. I'll ask for clarification and whether it is policy or regulations....or some combination.

The thought of a cold saw (consumer version carbide blade) is much more attractive than an abrasive saw, but I think a little bandsaw is best for my needs right now.

Will check out the Ellis. A good blade is definitely on my list. I like Mike's modification to his HF saw--seems like a decent, big table and some improved/tweaked guides would go a long way toward making it a good saw.

I definitely want shield gas. I was hoping I could get away with just Ar, but it seems a mix is necessary for steel to get a consistent arc.

The standard shielding gas for steel is 75/25 (Argon 75%/CO2 25%) You can also use straight CO2 but you don't get the arc stability on thinner materials. That's the other $$$ hole. Do I buy, lease or rent a bottle, and how many do I need.

Probably a "turn their back so they don't see" and therefore aren't responsible. If they load it for you, it might change things.

My supplier won't load it for you if it's going into the cab of the vehicle.

The standard shielding gas for steel is 75/25 (Argon 75%/CO2 25%) You can also use straight CO2 but you don't get the arc stability on thinner materials. That's the other $$$ hole. Do I buy, lease or rent a bottle, and how many do I need.
Yeah, and I need 100% Ar if I want to weld aluminum.

Yeah, and I need 100% Ar if I want to weld aluminum.
I thought you were looking at the Miller 211, so are you saying you are going with the spool gun also? Maybe you just haven't decided yet.

I thought you were looking at the Miller 211, so are you saying you are going with the spool gun also? Maybe you just haven't decided yet.
Did I mention I don't know what I don't know?:confused:

Yes, I'd need to get a spool gun if I do Al, and I'm not sure how well MIG welding Al works (or if I'd be better off learning TIG when/if I weld Al), so it may be a moot point. It's just I doubt I'll use a whole lot of gas, so having a single cylinder for everything would be convenient (yet physics often isn't).

Did I mention I don't know what I don't know?:confused:

Yes, I'd need to get a spool gun if I do Al, and I'm not sure how well MIG welding Al works (or if I'd be better off learning TIG when/if I weld Al), so it may be a moot point. It's just I doubt I'll use a whole lot of gas, so having a single cylinder for everything would be convenient (yet physics often isn't).

My Miller 210 is set up with the spool gun and I weld aluminum all the time. The problem with MIG is that is not very good for the thin stuff. You have to be careful with anything less than 1/8th in thick, you'll burn right through it. With practice you can get what I call very acceptable looking welds. They will never look like TIG or production welds. It is all a matter of what you are trying to do.

Back