Further Down the Rabbit Hole, or Plasma Cutters, MIGs, and Chop Saws oh my!

Did I mention I don't know what I don't know?:confused:

Yes, I'd need to get a spool gun if I do Al, and I'm not sure how well MIG welding Al works (or if I'd be better off learning TIG when/if I weld Al), so it may be a moot point. It's just I doubt I'll use a whole lot of gas, so having a single cylinder for everything would be convenient (yet physics often isn't).

MIG aluminum isn't difficult in material 1/8" and up, it's hot and fast but a common problem for some is the wire burnback into the contact. If you're not welding a lot of aluminum then I would stay with TIG. This still leaves you with the two bottle situation for gas, but it opens up the door to TIG stainless. For a beginner who wants experience in all the processes I would recommend a multi-purpose machine. The downside in the MP is you can get a lot invested in order to do the things you want. I read negative results for the MP's on SMAW (stick) but the days of beginners yearning to stick weld have passed.

FYI: Most of the aluminum tanker trucks you see on the road are MIG welded. Granted, most are done with a robot but they are MIG. Some parts and pieces may be TIG but that a lot of metal to deposit by hand.

Here is an example of my Aluminum MIG welding. As I am not only a hobby machinist, I am also a hobby welder. This example is not my finest work, but completely functional and acceptable for my projects. If I want really pretty, I can grind and polish.

MIG Aluminum Example

IMG_1396.JPG I picked up a MIG set up with accessories yesterday: Miller 211, cart, tank of 75/25, helmet, jacket, gloves, angle magnet clamps, etc. Also ordered a 4x6 HF bandsaw. Those should keep me out of the pool hall for a while.;)

Got everything assembled. Realized while I have 220, it's only 15A, so will need to run 110V until I can get a new circuit pulled. I suppose I could get a 15A plug for the welder--it just might blow the breaker if I'm running all out.

Last edited:
View attachment 228502 I picked up a MIG set up with accessories yesterday: Miller 211, cart, tank of 75/25, helmet, jacket, gloves, angle magnet clamps, etc. Also ordered a 4x6 HF bandsaw. Those should keep me out of the pool hall for a while.;)

Got everything assembled. Realized while I have 220, it's only 15A, so will need to run 110V until I can get a new circuit pulled. I suppose I could get a 15A plug for the welder--it just might blow the breaker if I'm running all out.

The plus side of MIG welding is it doesn't take as much amperage. The plus side of the inverter over the transformer is it takes even less amperage and you can use multiple voltages. The negative side of the inverter is their shorter lifespan. I'm guessing before this unit needs CPR you will be on to a bigger machine.

[QUOTE="I picked up a MIG set up with accessories yesterday: Miller 211, cart, tank of 75/25, helmet, jacket, gloves, angle magnet clamps, etc. Also ordered a 4x6 HF bandsaw. Those should keep me out of the pool hall for a while.;)

Got everything assembled. Realized while I have 220, it's only 15A, so will need to run 110V until I can get a new circuit pulled. I suppose I could get a 15A plug for the welder--it just might blow the breaker if I'm running all out.[/QUOTE]

I have the same welder and I love it. Never really used it on 110 but it's a smooth machine. I've found that I don't really use the auto-set very much - I get better results from the chart. The only thing I would change is I'm considering the 15ft gun as opposed to the standard 10ft. The feed design on these newer machines will handle the longer distance without a problem.

Like many others here I also have the HF 4x6 - just clean the sand out of it, put a decent blade on it and you will be good to go. Of course you'll want to use your new welder to build a better stand for it!

Enjoy!

First ive heard of that. I deal with 2 welding shops for oxy/acet, argon and c02 and neither one has ever mentioned it being a problem when I load the tanks into my car. Maybe it's an extension of don't ask - don't tell.
By the way, the welding supply guy loaded the cylinder into my hatchback without a question. Says they do it all the time.

Starrett 64 1/2" bi-metal 14/18 and 10/14 blades ordered.

My thought on chop saws: You cant trust them... There is all that centrifugal force built up and if something binds
the blade can disintegrate and do a lot of damage to the operator. Maybe it would be OK for small rods or something
but I can do just fine without one. Also, a chop saw spews abrasive and hot particles which is somewhat hazardous.
I find myself using a hack saw for the small jobs, much safer.

Back