Fusion 360 Personal the best option for a newbie?

AlfromNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking to get started with CAD with the goal of getting a 3D printer. I'll be designing/printing simple parts, perhaps assemblies of a handful of parts at most. Is F360 a good/best starting point? I'm a technical guy, well-versed in many computer applications, also used Sketchup a fair amount.

Thanks in advance,
Al

I think it would be a great way to go. Can use it free and there is a great deal of free training for it on YouTube and other places

It also presents a choice after you make the model to put out code for either a CNC mill OR 3D printer.

One other issue with Fusion 360 is that it does not take a powerful computer to use.

Take a look at thingaverse.com for lots of already done parts you can get and print free or get the code and modify it yourself and print. There are massive amounts of things you can download and 3D print.

Thanks @Cadillac STS, I'm going to give 360 a shot. I know there are loads of downloads available, but I want to freedom of my own designs as well.
The journey begins...

After being burned a couple times, I'm learning FreeCAD.

The problem with the "free" options is that they are free until they are not. You rack up a lot of time learning the idiosyncrasies of the product, and saving work in an almost proprietary format (transferring work between packages has always been hit-or-miss for me. YMMV.), and then the product owner decides to start charging, then cutting features, or even just dumping the product altogether.

The open-source alternatives have been all but unusable in the past. But, I think that has changed with FreeCAD. So, after SolidWorks deciding to do the bait-n-switch, I'm switching to FreeCAD.

The issues with manufacturers changing the deal after a while are annoying and very real. That said, if you focus more on how to build geometry with the tool, and less on "click there, then there", you will be able to transfer your skills to another tool if needed. It's still annoying, but at least you're not "stuck" if they bait and switch you.

All that said, if you plan to do more than 3D printing, Fusion is still a good option. The built in CAM is pretty good and quite flexible. So if you ever want to do CNC, you can. It can also output gcode for laser, plasma, 5-axis, electronics, etc..

If your plan doesn't include the extras, absolutely give the open source options a go. Or even just to try it for learning the basics. You might decide you hate CAD. And FreeCAD is a good program that might well do everything you need.

One of the issues I had with FreeCAD and the other open-source offerings was the lack of easy CAM. But, it looks like that is really yesterdays problem. I haven't actually worked through a project, so that is more of a hope than anything else.

I have been a paid subscriber of Fusion 360 for several years. It is invaluable in my workflow. For learning 3d modeling, and pairing it with a 3d printer, I feel Fusion 360 is great. I don't get into all the whining and complaining about their business model. They have been up front about the fact that features will become paid over time. I do agree the roll out is less than ideal at times. The community around 360 makes it easy to learn.

F360 appears to be a very good 3D program, and you can't beat the price. If I had not purchased Alibre, that's what I'd use. As a free tool it has it's limitations, but most of them don't apply to 3D printed designs. If you learn one 'real' modeling tool (like F360) the transition to another is really just the nuisance of learning where the same features that you're used to are hidden in the new software. The most difficult part (learning how to 3D CAD) is the same regardless. I think F360 would be a great place to start.

GsT

Back