Fusion 360 Personal the best option for a newbie?

Indeed. Also, it seems their website gets a lot more traffic as a result of this new popularity of the product so download link is often broken. I've opened a thread on Siemens forum to let them know.

The full software requirements are (if you're running Windows home edition and no office I would still try it. The fact its not "certified" doesn't mean it will not work for sure.

System Requirements​

Operating System Requirements & Information​

Solid Edge 2023 (v2210) has been certified to run on the following:
  • Windows 10 Enterprise or Professional (64-bit only) version 20H2 or later
  • Or Windows 11 Enterprise or Professional version 21H2 or later
  • Internet Explorer 11
Solid Edge, while not dependent on any other browser, has been certified against other modern and popular browsers like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox.
  • Microsoft Office 2019, 2021, and Microsoft Office 365 Business
System Requirements

Note:
  • Windows Home Edition is not supported.
  • We recommend that you not run Solid Edge on Server operating systems.
  • Solid Edge stops certifying new releases against an operating system shortly after Microsoft drops mainstream support for it. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Windows 7 in January 2015. Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Windows 8.1 in January 2018. As a result, Solid Edge no longer installs on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

I suspect that MS Office is only required for certain exports (e.g. auto BOM generation) and perhaps parametric params (spreadsheet) - things of little to no consequence to many users.

GsT

I suspect that MS Office is only required for certain exports (e.g. auto BOM generation) and perhaps parametric params (spreadsheet) - things of little to no consequence to many users.

GsT
Quite likely. I do have office installed on the same PC, but I never noticed asking me to login to the MS account (to activate office as I have a monthly subscription).

Also, the download link works fine now. I don't think Siemens anticipated the demand for this kind of software for hobbyists. Based on the errors I got when the site failed I gathered few details about its design. I believe there are simultaneous user, as well as max request limits set (to avoid bad actors simulating millions of users raking up a hosting bill) so if the download doesn't work for someone I suggest retrying on next day.

• Windows Home Edition is not supported.
I'm a FreeCad user and although it has its issues, I've learned to live with them. I gave up on F360 long ago. I hate the cloud concept.

Siemens software looks interesting except for the lack of CAM and the fact that Windows Home Edition isn't supported. These two thing make it useless to me as I suspect it will for others.

OP here. I’m all in on F360, until or unless I run into a brick wall trying to use it. For me, it seems like Freecad is the only viable option so we’ll see where things lead…

I'm a FreeCad user and although it has its issues, I've learned to live with them. I gave up on F360 long ago. I hate the cloud concept.

Siemens software looks interesting except for the lack of CAM and the fact that Windows Home Edition isn't supported. These two thing make it useless to me as I suspect it will for others.
Being used to FreeCAD, there is no problem using its CAM with models imported from other software, for example Solid Edge, or SolidWorks. Regarding Win. Home edition, it is very strange. I think there is very high chance it'll work. Its just not "certified".
OP here. I’m all in on F360, until or unless I run into a brick wall trying to use it. For me, it seems like Freecad is the only viable option so we’ll see where things lead…

What kind of objects do you usually deal with? Do you have lots of shells, chamfers, fillets, ribs, lettering embossed or cut into non straight surfaces? If you do you may have issues with FreeCAD. It also depends on how you work. Do you have a finished design "in your mind" when you start? If you do, you may be OK(and you learn not to reference off generated geometry). Most problems occur when trying to change features done early on. For stuff you know will vary dimensionally it is good to use parametrics and the spreadsheet function for everything.

Back