G0602 Vs. G0752 Variable Speed worth it?

I'm in the same boat as the OP. A couple of things to add. If you look at the Grizzly parts list the VFD is the Delta VFD007E11A. This Delta is an electronics company located in Taiwan. See http://www.delta.com.tw. The unit is full featured. It has dynamic braking and open loop vector control. All pretty typical. If the VFD goes one can get a replacement on the general market. A quick search found a couple of sites selling the units. VFDs are commodities now so I don't think there is that much difference between units from different companies.

The motor is simply listed as "MOTOR 1 HP 220V 3-PH". Who knows how good it is.

So buying G0602 would likely give a better motor, same quality VFD, and and the work of the conversion. (Might be a fun project to tackle.) Probably also more expensive. VFD + motor + tach + box + wiring > $350.

The G0752 gives better integration in the lathe (no box on the side), less work, unknown quality motor, and maybe a bit less flexibility on the VFD.

When I first started looking at this I thought the G0602 was the way to go. I figured they would use a single phase motor and some rheostat. No, they did a good job. That is good in that the G0752 is better. Bad in that it makes it a more difficult choice.

My $0.02 worth.

I sent an email to Grizzly asking if it would be possible to convert my 602 to the 752 variable speed drive.

Seems to me that it would be a matter of laying the parts lists and diagrams side by side and sorting out the differences from the common parts.

I will post their reply when I hear back.

OK, I got an answer from Grizzly:

Thank you for your email dated December 24, 2014.

While it would be possible to retrofit the G0602 to the G0752 VS Lathe, it is not very cost effective to do so. The motor and VFD as aftermarket parts have a combined cost of $1,300.00 and that does not include all of the parts required to convert the lathe. You would, in all honesty, be better off selling the G0602 and purchasing a new G0752 to save money, as the G0752 is currently priced at $1,595.00 plus shipping and handling.
If we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You are a valued customer, and we look forward to serving your future woodworking and metalworking needs.

So, I guess it is out of the question, financially.

I got my G0752 several months ago and I am completely happy with it and the VFD. I do not have a bunch of experience with anything else so tKe it with a grain of salt. I have been working with 1018, brass and 6061. It is nice for threading, I like seeing the RPM and I do adjust the speed for rough and finish operations on aluminum. When I looked at the 602 vs 752 it looked to me like guys that we adding VFD to a 602 were spending about the same money as the difference of the two lathes out of the box. I didn't want to or have the electrical experience to mess with it. Like I said, I don't have the experience to compare but if I were doing it again, I would still get the 752.

jim

I am going with the G0602. I have been looking a used lathes for over a year. Missed a $1500 fully tooled SB with collets and all the goodies. It was gone in hours... sigh.
But I never got to inspect it and you know the ways could have been pretty worn up near the chuck.
So, back to looking for new. Precision Mathews, Seigs, Jet, and the offerings at Little Machine Shop.
The Hi Torques at LMS looked really nice but no thread dial? The thought of doing an inside thread, having to stop the lathe (before crashing, I hope), retract the tool, turning the lathe back on in reverse, advancing the tool and starting again seems a bit daunting.
The G0602 has all the threads I need for now. No power cross feed but I have lived without that before.
And a reverse tumbler project would be a nice way to get back into the shop after a very long absence.
I agree with others that an additional $450 for a variable speed that only goes down to 100 is not worth it.
Then Grizzly went and threw in a discount for veterans and that did it.
Order is going in tomorrow morning.
Finally.

OK, I got an answer from Grizzly...While it would be possible to retrofit the G0602 to the G0752 VS Lathe, it is not very cost effective to do so. The motor and VFD as aftermarket parts have a combined cost of $1,300.00...

Not true at all. VFD + motor for $200-400 (depending on brand and source). This is a very common conversion.

http://www.rcdon.com/html/the_reverse_tumbler_project3.html
http://www.projectsinmetal.com/foru...install-a-vfd-on-a-grizzly-g0602-10x22-lathe/
http://www.projectsinmetal.com/forum/general-discussion/g0602-variable-speed-motor/

The financial reality is this: VFD, motor, wiring, and rpm indication will cost you altogether maybe $50 (if you shop frugally) more than the difference between the G0602 and the G0752. Since it costs more, why would you want to do it yourself?
- Can pick a higher quality motor that will last longer and operate smoother
- Can source electronics that are easily replaceable in the event something breaks (vs. maybe waiting months for a replacement VFD control board from Grizzly)

As mentioned above, the Chinese VS electronics tend to be low quality. Grizzly has had major problems in the past with the controller boards for their G0619 mill, hopefully we won't see a repeat of that on the G0752.

Last edited:
Read my post again. Grizzly quoted the price of the conversion parts being purchased from them, which is what I asked.

Read my post again. Grizzly quoted the price of the conversion parts being purchased from them, which is what I asked.
I understand that. I was not doubting your words, but merely stating that Grizzly was quoting a cost for conversion that is far exceeding what you would be able to do from other sources.

Especially since grizzly stated "the aftermarket VFD and motor cost" implying that any solution was majorly expensive.

Maybe I worded my response poorly.

I forgot that the G0752 actually used a commercial VFD rather than a motor controller board like some of their cheaper mills. It is a Delta VFD #007E11A, which gives you the advantage of finding a drop-in replacement easily, and probably being more reliable than a no-name control board. With that in mind, it probably worth buying the G0752 vs the G0704 and converting it yourself... although you could end up with a much better quality motor if you did it yourself. A 1 hp 3 phase Leeson can be found pretty cheap if you search hard enough.

If you already owned a G0602, the cost with aftermarket parts as I said before is still only about $350. Worth doing the conversion instead of selling the Go704 and buying the G0752.

Grizzly charges $411 for the 1 HP 3 phase motor, which is a rip off. And they charge $990 for the 1HP VFD, which is highway robbery (you can find the 1Hp Delta VFD-E elsewhere for $250)... replacement parts are never cheap...

http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0752611
http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0752620

Last edited:
Before I bought my G0752 I searched just a bit for this comparison of costs of DIY vs Grizzly. I didn't look too hard but what I thought I found indicated that it would be cheaper by just a little order the G0752 ready to go vs DIY. but, the biggest things for me was, I didn't really want to do the conversion, wanted it to look like a factory install and not something I butchered together (don't take that the wrong way, most of you guys would do a very nice install), and I wanted VFD now.

Jim

The G0602 has shipped! Ordered Friday morning and delivery is expected Wednesday "by the end of the day".
Gees! I better have my act together including movers pallets and my trusty portable hoist! Grizzly was pretty fast once Visa cleared.
Am I just a little excited? You bet! I am already pricing QCTP, HSS blanks and, of course, the perfect oil delivery for the 11, count 'em, 11 ball oilers.
There must be a half a dozen messages regarding just ball oilers in this forum.
Before I get too carried away though I must turn my attention to building a suitable table. Thinking of building one on casters (fat ones) but building in a leveling system to0. Something like a three or four inch pad just inside where the casters reside.

Back