G0704 CNC AC Servo Rebuild (Picture Heavy)

I have a circular saw that a much braver person than I could use to chop those off :D

a hacksaw with a decent 14/18t bimetal blade would cut through that relatively quickly and cleanly, albeit with some sweat equity involved. I'd then go down to HF and get one of their cheapy angle grinders ($15?) and grind down any proud edges. Slap a coat of paint on it and no one will be the wiser :)

I'm sorry for the loss of your endmill, I always feel a stab of emotional pain when that happens to me.

Turning the angle plate on it's side and using the side of the endmill might be a good cutting strategy. A roughing endmill would make quick work of that.

Turning the angle plate on it's side and using the side of the endmill might be a good cutting strategy. A roughing endmill would make quick work of that.

That's currently the plan. I could also clean up the rough cast edges for my replacement ribs in the same operation. This project might not have been planned out as well as the rest of the build but it'll be just fine!

A bandsaw is at your disposal and 40 minutes away from you...

As are long-reach end mills and spare 3/4" R8 collets and just about anything else you need.

Maybe I misunderstood your intent... but if not an easier way to re-stiffen the angle plate would be to drill & tap the sides and put 1/4" or 3/8" plates on the sides like I did on mine. They won't influence the angle plate if you (we) grind the mating surfaces flat.

A bandsaw is at your disposal and 40 minutes away from you...

I think it's time I scheduled a trip out to Ashtabula! Next time I have a free weekend, I will send you a message and hopefully get together.

You're correct about what I'm trying to do. I think you way would definitely be easier.

Thanks again for the offer :)

I think you way would definitely be easier.
The easy way is to use two pieces of steel and bolt them together rather than carving up a cast iron angle plate.

Actually, the really easy way is to just get a big chunk of material and come up here. We'll go over to the 'real' shop and bang it out on the VMC or big horizontal and then grind it in.

See if you can find an 8x8x8 drop of O1... ;)

See if you can find an 8x8x8 drop of O1... ;)

Well that might be a bit more than my machine table could hold (or I could lift for that matter)!

The angle plate came about because I was looking for something square (these are ground at the factory), rigid enough, and inexpensive. I don't have any plate steel in my scrap bin (mostly round stock and tons of aluminum) and the 4th axis will probably only be used 5% of the time. If we meet up, I have some 5/8 aluminum plate we can use for the sides, or I can go buy some steel.

Also totally bragging here, but I met John Saunders of NYCCNC at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum yesterday. Only talked with him for a minute but it was super exciting. Made the drive into downtown DC (insane) worth it.

Back