[Newbie] G0752 Major Issue

What 1/2" tools are you using? Witch QCTP did you get?

I don't think that making a minor modification to the machine to avoid having to ship it back
I don't see that he should need to ship it back. Grizzly should just send him a new toolpost.

I would have fixed it by now too, but I have a mill.

Had this happened to me, I'd already have it fixed and be making chips-and money........

I agree, if it was mine and was costing me money to wait on Grizzly to live up to their published specifications, then I would try to fix it myself. But, the OP doesn't sound like he's in it for the money. He just wants what he paid for. Not an unreasonable expectation.

Tom

I've not had the best parts with Grizzly but I've always been taken care of as a customer. Sometimes to well getting extra parts I don't want. However there has been twice that I've had to call a second time to get someone that cares. So I suggest calling back & talking to someone else if your not planning on fixing it yourself.

I believe I've had to fix something on everything I've gotten from Grizzly. Not everything I've chosen to repair tho & they gladly send a pickup ticket for everything I've returned. They even sent a call skip for a junk plastic till box when they sent the wrong thing. I bet the shipping was more then the box.

off a 1/16 use a 7/16 tool bit or 3/8 and shim up to the center.
When a machine is low priced it is considered a kit not for production out of the box. Even an expensive production machine has to be kitted up for the job at hand.
Price ones expectations accordingly.

In my dealings with Grizzly customer service, they have been very good at making things right. Go into the conversation with evidence to support your claim and discuss a reasonable solution in a calm way. They have never asked me to return any defective or wrong merchandise.

With selling merchandise in this country there is a common law warranty of implied fitness which dictates that an item is fit for its implied or intended use. The Grizzly catalog state, for the G0602, "maximum tool size: 1/2". It also states, for the G0752, "The model G0752 is a variable speed version of the the G0602". The G0752 shares a common manual with the G0602 and the manual states" The four-way tool post is mounted on top of the compound rest and allows a maximum of four 1⁄2" tools to be loaded simultaneously."
I would not have a problem correcting the fault myself and have done so many times in the past. However, expecting a vendor to do what they are legally obligated to do is not unreasonable. Additionally, forcing their action on this may very well eliminate the issue for future buyers.

Interesting trend regarding the grizzly I am reading. Think I will stick with buying some of the tooling and stay away from the machines.

Always good to learn....

Interesting trend regarding the grizzly I am reading. Think I will stick with buying some of the tooling and stay away from the machines.

Always good to learn....

Above is the correct attitude. If they sell something to you, and it's obvious that it is not as specified, then make sure everyone knows they can not be trusted, and look elsewhere for that product. It seems as if some people have received the correct assembly and this person did not, and it would be in Grizzley's best interests to see that the matter is resolved.
That lathe is mfg by Sumore Tools in Shanghai. You might inquire there as to why the 1/2" tools don't center correctly.

I am in the camp of putting pressure on Grizzly to make this right.
You should not have to modify the lathe for something as basic as taking a 1/2" tool, when the machine is supposed to take a 1/2" tool.
The lathe is clearly not in spec because in spec despite what the person on the phone told you.
They need to make it right in some fashion. If this means they send you a QCTP so it meets spec, then that is what they have to do. No reason you should pony up $200.00+ just so the machine will work as advertised. If this means they send you a modified tool holder, then they do that.

One thing, you do not want to modify the functionality of a lathe under warranty to make it meet spec with out written consent from Grizzly. I doubt it would ever be an issue with them, but you should always cover your bases.

I dont think Grizzly or Grizzly specifications are wrong. No four-way tool post can be designed to hold all tools at center height. I believe the 1/2" max could be used with some 1/2" negative rake insert tools and be on height but it could also be used with all hand sharpened HSS tools bits up to 1/2" shank. Using carbide brazed tools you should order either 3/8" or 7/16" and shim to height.

That being said you should dump the four-way tool post and get a QCTP.

Back