[Newbie] G0752 Major Issue

@jmanatee
My point is that it is advertised to take 1/2" tooling, not some 1/2" tooling. tooling is close enough to being standardized that there should be no confusion here.
It either takes a 1/2" tool, or it does not. That fact that some tooling can be used only means that it accepts a smaller tool.

Now we can probably all agree that the OP should get a QCTP. We can also probably all agree that a lathe this small will not really get full benefit from 1/2" tooling. None of this changes the fact that it specified to take 1/2" tooling, and the OP proceeded on this assumption with the purchase of such tooling.

Tolerating things like this is why we get lathes from China that advertise a 10" swing, but only have 4" of cross slide travel. I would not consider a lathe that can only face 8" to be a 10" lathe any more than I would consider a lathe that only accepts a 7/16" tool to have a 1/2" capacity. As an example, how many of us have lathes with a bore smaller than advertised? As a community, we should not tolerate this sort of behavior. As individuals we have an obligation to call out importers who behave this way either in public forums such as this, or by putting pressure on the importer to set things right.

I decided to go to Grizzly's site to see what was advertised. As of today it is listed "Maximum tool size: 1/2". If a .5" tool doesn't fit in the tool holder that would be one thing. And if the tool was ground lower it should work.

I would expect it to cut from the top of the blank also if I didn't already know better. But since I do know that isn't the case it is what I expect now.

Bought a Kia, Now I expect a Cadillac performance/comfort.
This post is beating the wrong horse.

I dont think Grizzly or Grizzly specifications are wrong. No four-way tool post can be designed to hold all tools at center height.
I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect the stock toolpost on a machine advertised as working with tools up to 1/2" to position a 1/2" tool with its top surface at or below center. I expect to need to shim tools in a 4-way. I do not expect to need to grind them down.

Bought a Kia, Now I expect a Cadillac performance/comfort.
This post is beating the wrong horse.
I bought a KIA 10 years & 225K miles ago that has been great. You couldn't give me a Cadillac.

I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect the stock toolpost on a machine advertised as working with tools up to 1/2" to position a 1/2" tool with its top surface at or below center. I expect to need to shim tools in a 4-way. I do not expect to need to grind them down.
It doesn't say it will work with 1/2" tools. It says that is the largest tool that will fit in the holder. That wouldn't leave enough room to shim the tool anyways. I guess you can expect what you want. I don't see where they are in the wrong here myself. I have a 14x40 & don't see where a 1/2" tool does much better then a 3/8" tool. I use both in it since I already have the bigger tools but I buy the smaller tools since they are cheaper & work just as well.

My 4 way for what is essentially the same lathe will place the top of a 1/2" blank below the centerline.. The G0602 and the G0752 share common part numbers including the 4 way.

Mine works. The OP's doesn't.

There is clearly a problem here and it doesn't involve Grizzly using semantics to sell a machine (it fits vs. it works). Somewhere in their production process they messed up and sent a wrong part or an improperly manufactured part.

Yes there are many work-around's but why should someone buying a product have to remanufacture it or buy accessories to replace something that doesn't work out of the box?

I have to agree that the machine does not meet spec out of the box.

I see two options here: 1) Contact Grizzly and get the problem resolved, maybe to include sending the machine back. 2) Fix or ignore the problem and and make chips.

JoJo1 is going to have to make that decision.

The G0752 owner's manual has a specific section on aligning the cutting tool with the spindle centerline. It covers shimming the tool if necessary to raise it in the tool post to align with the spindle centerline, but nowhere does it mention a possible need, nor a method, to lower the tool in the tool post. Logic would lead one to believe that if 1/2" was the maximum tool size that the tool post would hold, there might be minimal need to shim a 1/2" tool, but never a need to lower it.

Tom

Last edited:
A silly thought, you don't suppose that someone at the factory drilled the hold down bolts on the wrong side? Upside down in other words.

Back