Ga Group

Plas62

Active User
Registered
Sounds like a good idea as long as it not to far. I'm in Hogansville. Where are you at?

Jim

I am in Norcross... NE 'burb' of Atlanta.

My intention was a group here on the forum site.... to share local stuff (like good flea markets, metal places, etc).
And if we all decide to meet somewhere for lunch... all the better!

Want to join the forum group?

I need to talk to one of the other MODS... and find out how to do the official 'acceptance into a group' thing in this software package (understood V-bulletin fairly good).

Will send along acceptance messages.

Lets see if we can find the other machine guys in the N GA area and get them on board!

Reeltor... going down to Metals Supermarket later today.... need a chunk of 60-61 about 7" in dia and 1.75" thick.

John

John,

the Drop Room at Metals Supermarket is hit/miss on what they have on-hand. I try to stop in when I'm in the area just to see what they have. I picked up 2- 5" dia 4" thick pieces of aluminum. Thought I'd look into a fly reel but maybe some wheels for a belt sander/grinder would be more useful. Say hello to Gina and Steve for me.

Mike

John,

the Drop Room at Metals Supermarket is hit/miss on what they have on-hand. I try to stop in when I'm in the area just to see what they have. I picked up 2- 5" dia 4" thick pieces of aluminum. Thought I'd look into a fly reel but maybe some wheels for a belt sander/grinder would be more useful. Say hello to Gina and Steve for me.

Mike

THX Mike...

There is a supply house around the corner I go to regularly... easy to visit the metals place.
I have made friends with the guys in the shop... they get my 'cut' orders out in a couple of hours or less.
Gina and Steve are quite helpful!
I also need a couple of pieces of piece of steel pipe around 2" dia (one a foot long and one 3 ft long)... to true in my new lathe.

Hope to visit Thursday.

John

I'm in snellville well my shop is. Where is this metal place you speak of? Metal supermarkets is ungodly expensive I had to pay $60 for a 2" al 6061 round a foot long.

I'm in snellville well my shop is. Where is this metal place you speak of? Metal supermarkets is ungodly expensive I had to pay $60 for a 2" al 6061 round a foot long.

John and I are talking about Metals Supermarket on Pleasant Hill Rd. ; expensive until you see what other companies want for their stuff. I think Metals Supermarket charges around $3 a pound for aluminum. The 5" dia x 4 or 5" thick 6061 cost me $30 apiece. Your piece of 2" x 12" 6061 should weigh in at 3.676 pounds, it should have cost you under $12, FROM THE DROP ROOM, if you had them cut a piece I don't have a clue what they charge.

Now, if you want steel, hot rolled, then the place to go is SteelMart on Lawrenceville Hwy in Tucker. They have mostly structural and flat plate but do have some pipe. The drop area there is also hit and miss, but it's the place for inexpensive steel IF they have what you need (and you don't mind cutting through the coating left on hot-rolled. This is a industrial location with a lot of traffic, they only have hot rolled and architectural decorative steel for fences and gates.

Back