Garage door insulation install

I did my whole shop with that only one inch thick 4x8 sheets shop is 40x50 16ft ceiling. so thats a lot of sheets. I learned
quick- table saw works well but what a mess. What does work well is one of those long serrated steak knifes. It all got
fastened with alum. nails and 2" alum. disks. Now to fasten to a door or something I found liquid nail works perfectly. Also
you must use latex paint any mineral base paint will melt the stuff. For touch ups I use sheet rock mud and trowel it on.
That's too funny. Lesson learned there. The static cling of that stuff must of been heck to get off. LOL
I used drywall knife and serrated bread knife. Drywall blade works best I think. Score and snap. I did not glue to my garage door. I cut down the middle and inserted 2 pieces in channel top and bottom. Had joint across the middle and taped it with foil tape. Construction adhesive is permanent stuff!

Does anybody here have plans for one of those aircraft scissor action two panel doors?
I really want to make some and install in my shop..
The way they are made would make insulation a breeze...

The Insulation on the garage door seems to be working fairly well. I cut the foam to fit the sqaures of my garage door, 4 rows , 4 each row. I put the foil side to the warm side as suggested. I must say, it does work pretty good. I have noticed a few things so far. When I do go in the shop, I turn my little electric heater on. The heater would normally make very little differance. Now, it takes very little time to get the temps up to 63 degrees. Before this stuff, I could only get to 48, to 50 degrees at best. And that would be turning on the heater for atleast 2 1/2 hours before going in and doing any work.

For the min amount of cash it cost me, I would say it was well worth the effort.
Concidering I have only cut the foam to fit the sqaure panels, and not the whole door. I didnt want to deal with cutting around all those hinges.

I have also picked up a few 4X10 ft rolls of that double foil insulation., about 1/8 inch thick Im going to use this stuff to completly cover the inside of the garage door. This stuff will be the last step in insulating the door, and should be a easy install, as it cuts easy with sissors to go around hinges and hardware, and I will install this stuff with a staple gun. So I should have this done sometime over the weekend, and Ill let you guys know how well this works next week.

So far the garage door has these parts and materials
2 sheets of foil backed styrofoam 4X8
2 rolls of double sided 1/8 thick insulation, 4ftX10ft
2 outer side seals
1 upper seal
approx cost for everything $175.00

And a bonous to it all. The bedroom above the garage is staying a bit warmer too.

Paul

Back