Gas Welding Joints & Beads

Bright and shiny metal? We very seldom see that on the farm. One place that acetylene welding is still required is aircraft frames of chrome Molly tubing. Heavy plate is so much easier to do with stock arc.

I can understand the lack of bright shiny metal on a farm.

I did not know that that type of aircraft welding required oxyacetylene, but I can definitely understand why that would be the case.

I am with ya on the arc welding for heavy plate!

Looks like Victor torch and tips, my favorite! I have the 300 series and the smaller series 100 one also, one of my old friend’s father said it all “I wouldn’t weld without Victor” he was arguably at least one of the best welders in Napa County, sadly, he died at age 56 of a heart attack and his shop was auctioned off, it was my friend and I favorite playground when we in grade school, and the first time I ran arc weld beads with a MG DC welding machine, his son, my friend lately lost his mother and is moving into her house, which was his father’s mother’s house, and right next door to where the shop was, also where he lived when we were in JR high and high school, so much nostalgia!

Sent

One of my cousins built a single place "Rotorway" helicopter back in the 60s from a kit, the frame was all torch welded 4130 tube, welded with a Victor aircraft torch, and yes, it is very much like tig welding, which I used to be able to do pretty well, mostly on 1/16" wall stainless tube; my shop made quite a lot of tools for winery production.

One of my cousins built a single place "Rotorway" helicopter back in the 60s from a kit, the frame was all torch welded 4130 tube, welded with a Victor aircraft torch, and yes, it is very much like tig welding, which I used to be able to do pretty well, mostly on 1/16" wall stainless tube; my shop made quite a lot of tools for winery production.

I did not even know it was possible to gas weld on stainless.

The weld below needed to be washed for purposes of penetration as well as even distribution of filler material.

My first question: a problem that I am having is that there is a fair amount of gas pressure coming out of the welding tip! I will try turning down the pressures on both regulators to 3 psi to see if that reduces it. I have never seen this before. It would make a good gouging setup, but I am not trying to gouge.

It is very unfortunate when I use too much filler material. The #2 tip is not very effective trying to heat up that much material.

AEA73A20-0828-4BE7-9AF7-9817BF7CCA6E.jpeg

2B6FE95F-6590-481B-8FB7-1AA4E54EC18C.jpeg

Back side. Ignore the tack welds.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the weld bead on the other side of this T-joint. I ran out of oxygen halfway through this weld bead. Once I installed a fully charged oxygen cylinder, I was happy to be operating with all of the heat that comes with a #2 tip.

This is a solid weld bead, but I will switch to a #3 tip now so that the work will go faster. Gas welding is slow.

Know that this weld bead has been washed again and again because I wanted to tie in the toes & assure myself of full penetration.

My criticism is that I used too much filler material & that it doesn’t look pretty.

07591CC4-9AC2-48BF-8B41-3E132F2914EE.jpeg

3D6315AC-7F3D-4D42-A636-1A80B046C33C.jpeg

The flame needs to "just be there", if it looks like it is a jet then too much gas.

You are running the regulators way to low.

You can do it that way, you open the torch wide open and adjust flame by regulator.

A friend did it this way and he was a true welding artist, the inspectors gave him grief over it.

O2 should be 20 to 25 and ace 10 to 15 if I recall correctly, been many years.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The flame needs to "just be there", if it looks like it is a jet then too much gas.

You are running the regulators way to low.

You can do it that way, you open the torch wide open and adjust flame by regulator.

A friend did it this way and he was a true welding artist, the inspectors gave him grief over it.

O2 should be 20 to 25 and ace 10 to 15 if I recall correctly, been many years.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

It is definitely a jet. I had both regulators set to 5 psi for the second weld bead which is what Victor recommends in their chart, but I have seen people on YouTube use, e.g., 8-10 psi for a similar application.

I’m going to get some soapy water & check for leaks.

I also have another oxyacetylene cart, & I will try that cart with a different (medium) torch to see if I still get the unwanted jet force. I have gas welded a lot before, but I never remember having needlessly high gas pressure at the tip. Nobody wants a jet force here.

I will admit to having used higher regulator pressures and adjusting the flame that I desired with the valves on the torch, that is what worked with me. If the flame blows the puddle out, it is too much pressure with too small of a tip.

Back