Gear Cutter, What can you get away with

Welcome to the forum. Pretty sure plastic won't cut it on the 48" Niles. I have a smaller 26" version. Would love to see pics of your 48. Cheers, Mike

If you can find the tooth profile in a book, what about grinding a single-point cutter for it? You'll have to go slower feed rates (since it is only 1 tooth!) but you can grind whatever size you want (then just run it in a fly cutter).

you can grind whatever size you want (then just run it in a fly cutter).
I've done that just to see how well it works. I tried both acetal (Delrin) and aluminum. It worked but was slow and I'm sure the profile was not perfect. I tested them as change gears on my 1440 lathe and they seemed to run fine. Short term test! Dividing was done with my 8" rotary table & plates. The catch is the bulk of the table means needing a longer shaft to set the blank up on to clear everything. A BS-0 or BS-1 dividing head would be better. I've actually been considering buying a BS-2 to push the limits of my abilities beyond what I can likely manage. Am I really that crazy?

I've actually been considering buying a BS-2 to push the limits of my abilities beyond what I can likely manage. Am I really that crazy?
I'm gonna go with NO here. You need this.

You need this.
NEED?
I have no valid use for such a thing. This is just a hobby gone astray. I'd like to hear from anyone that has a BS-2 and has set it up to do helical gears.
Shipping weight is about 145#! SWAG means the head itself is likely in the 90# range. That is the thing that is making me reconsider and just buy a BS-1. No helical gear making, but I can handle that weight.

I have an original B&S #2 and use it routinely, they are not just for spiral milling, but also for differential indexing, and since the worm can be disengaged, can be conveniently used for direct indexing using the plate behind the chuck. #0 and #1 are more toys than useful tools, at least in my opinion.

#0 and #1 are more toys
All my metal working stuff are toys!
I have lots of questions about this subject.
How often do you set it up to do spirals?
How long does it take to setup for spirals?
Do you have a lift of some sort?
My mill is a Jet 9 X 49. I think it can handle the weight OK but that weight is going to be all at one end of the table.

I do not do a lot of spiral work, just occasionally, also differential indexing, just when needed for prime number indexing such as 127 for metric transposing gears, yes, I do have a lift, I used a barn door track and a HF electric hoist; I used to lift such things as the dividing head and lathe chucks by hand, back troubles no longer allow suchlike. The weight at the end of the table is just one of those things that are a necessary thing, in some cases, such as when the dividing head is geared to the table screw, other times it may be placed anywhere on the table that is convenient, like using a vise, it can be located anywhere. Setting up for spirals is quite easy and can be done quickly, although it might take some extra work to set up on a non Brown & Sharpe machine, which has a couple of drilled and tapped holes on the end of the table to accomodate change gear brackets. The information on spiral setup is contained in B&S book "Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines" find a copy online or perhaps E Bay, it is a gold mine of info, including spiral work and indexing and lots more.

"Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines"
It's on Google books. I spent some time reading and skipped though other sections. There were a lot of attachments for a mill I've never seen.
I book marked it. Thanks

It's on Google books. I spent some time reading and skipped though other sections. There were a lot of attachments for a mill I've never seen.
I book marked it. Thanks
I'd like one of each of those attachments!, I did pick up the slotting attachment and parts of the rack cutting att. and arbor braces and the short lead and feed reducing att., it had the universal milling att. which serves for vertical milling. also have 2 of the universal vises.

Back