[4]

Gear train sound right? 1440GS

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
An old timers trick to get the proper spacing was to place cigarette paper between the gears when setting them up. The paper created the proper clearance between the gears without inducing to much slop/backlash.

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That’s what I thought as well. But I can open the gap between the gears to the point where the top gears aren’t touching and the sound goes away.

Firstgear

An old timers trick to get the proper spacing was to place cigarette paper between the gears when setting them up. The paper created the proper clearance between the gears without inducing to much slop/backlash.
I don’t have cigarette paper, but it reminds me of setting a starter gear. You put a small paperclip in and that sets your distance.

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
That’s what I thought as well. But I can open the gap between the gears to the point where the top gears aren’t touching and the sound goes away.
do you mean you are moving the banjo so that it doesn't engage with the gear coming out of the headstock? Honestly, I would demount all the hears and re-set them myself.

Firstgear

do you mean you are moving the banjo so that it doesn't engage with the gear coming out of the headstock? Honestly, I would demount all the hears and re-set them myself.
Yes, that gear cluster is all mounted together except where they make contact with that top gear. Looks to me that the other gears have their distances set in the mountings.

Firstgear

Larry42

Registered
I just use a piece of note paper that is just less than .003 thick. It may get squished to less than that by the time everything is tightened. Gears seem to run fine, not noisy. I brush some grease on them. They run pretty slow so it would seem as long as they don't bind from being too tight, to being ridiculously loose the tooth form of a spur gear should work fine.

Firstgear

Could I be getting the gear noise inside traveling down the shaft to that top spur gear? I’m guessing that tomorrow when I check all the gears that I won’t be able to make the others noisy.....stay tuned!

Firstgear

Noise found and resolved!

Turns out I had the saddle feed direction partially engaged or disengaged. I pulled the cover off the top and moved the gears outside and sure enough the noise was coming from within. Got a flashlight and while I couldn’t see exactly what was meshing wrong I could see the right shaft that obviously wasn’t in correct position. I moved it around and sure enough the noise stopped!

So tomorrow I will check the backlash, as suggested, on all the gears. Now I can sleep in piece otherwise I would get up in the middle of the night to go check it out.

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
Their really is nothing more annoying than a sound from a gear train that doesn't sound right!

Firstgear

Their really is nothing more annoying than a sound from a gear train that doesn't sound right!
I feel much better having found the root cause....

benmychree

John York
Gear clearance from root to crest should be .020", at least for DP gears, for Module (metric) I suppose it is about the same. I read that this situation has been resolved, but, just saying.

[6]
[5] [7]