General ratcheting tap holder

Shamrock tools has them listed, I'll get a notification probably tomorrow if they still have them.

I don't know of any high quality piloted tap drivers anymore. There are tons of Chinese copies on ebay, though. I gave up on cheap tap drivers a long time ago. I do have a General from when they were made in the US and that one is okay but the Walton ones are quite good. So is Starrett but they don't make a piloted one. You could probably adapt one to accept a shaft in the back, then drill a hole through the middle of the shank to hold a cross bar. If I didn't already have the Waltons, that's what I would do.

I'm at the airport, I'll have to look at my USA generals to see if they could be modified.

I bought a ratcheting tap handle yesterday, thought I could use it in a tight place I need to thread a 1/4" hole. A regular handle would not work.

I bought a ratcheting tap handle yesterday, thought I could use it in a tight place I need to thread a 1/4" hole. A regular handle would not work.

I hope you have better luck than I did :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought these from ebay. Greenfield GTD. Tap Wrench T Handle. No. 338 and No.339. l like these. I also bought GTD Greenfield Tool & Die No. 5 and No. 7 Tap Wrench Handle

Order denied no stock.:(

The Walton piloted tap wrenches, they had the part numbers listed online.

I am a happy GearWrench ratcheting tap/die handle user. It's a good system.

I also own several GTD handles (broke one when it shouldn't have, otherwise great). My best compact t-handles are from Miller's Falls. I haven't used the Starrett's, but they look nice. Overall, I've ended up with more junk for compact tap handles than I have good ones. In my opinion, "good" means the tap is held straight, the jaws don't slip or loosen constantly, and I can release the tap when I'm done without using a BFH. Surprising how few of these tools are "good".

Back