Getting a 1440GT (Which VFD, and other small questions)

Don't sell yourself short. Once you get started putting it together and wiring you will find it isn't really that hard, particularly with the support on this forum.

You can continue posting on this thread or start new. Continuing this thread isn't a bad idea since you referenced older builds that have been refined and simplified as it will help someone in the future. Either way, those that help answer questions will follow the thread.

Post lots of pictures. We all like pictures, especially new stuff.

I'm confident I can do it. I also have a friend with a 1440GT that put his own kit together. Look forward to the lengthy thread and my crappy hand drawn diagrams!

21-02-04 18-39-49 4662.jpg

I'm on my way.

A timely video was just put on youtube by a fellow PM machine user:

^^^And a fellow H-M member ^^^ He has a thread on here somewhere, not about the build, but a link to his video.

I too am considering a VFD. I just ordered an Eisen 1440E so will be following along.

The nice part about VFDs is you can get started with just the basic functions and add to it later as needed. I‘ve only had my lathe running for a month, but haven’t added jog or variable speed to it yet. I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with you lathe.

I have a question about the braking resistor. I don't understand why it is listed as a must add. The VFD has a built in braking resistor, which will slow the lathe faster than the single phase cutoff does. For emergency stops, the foot lever has a friction brake. I can understand if someone WANTS the lathe to stop faster, but I don't see that it is required.

Back