Getting a New PM-1054 Going

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have had this milling machine for 9 days now, and next week I finally have a chance to get it going.

The first order of business was to carefully read through the online manual:

I also watched a few videos on YouTube to re-familiarize myself on how to run a Bridgeport clone.

I will document what I do to in order to help others in the future who are getting a new milling machine going.

I have 4 questions already:

(1) I think that when I got the machine I played with the speed control setting a little before any power was put to the machine. Later, I read the warnings not to adjust this unless the motor was running. I have almost certainly changed the speed control setting to something other than what it was when it was shipped. Now I am scared to start the machine, afraid that I might damage the gears.

(2) It is not clear to me how to lubricate the quill. One YouTube video showed a gentleman putting way oil at the top of the quill. As I recall, the manual recommended using grease. In this case, I should follow the manual, right?

(3) PM sent some parts that I don’t recognize where they go. I will post pictures tomorrow.

(4) PM shipped the drawbar loose. Even after reading the manual, I don’t know how to install the drawbar. It appears that it would slip entirely through (and fall on the vise) if I put it in there. Maybe the answer to this lies in question (3) above.

Last edited:
(1) I think that when I got the machine I played with the speed control setting a little before any power was put to the machine. Later, I read the warnings not to adjust this unless the motor was running. I have almost certainly changed the speed control setting to something other than what it was when it was shipped. Now I am scared to start the machine, afraid that I might damage the gears.
A quote from another board:

"You can turn the dial to increase the spindle speed on a vs machine without the spindle turning without problems. If you try to decrease the speed without the spindle turning, the dial will turn hard. If you keep turning, something will break, usually the pin on the end of the chain"

Shouldn’t be a problem, just don’t make a habit out of it. You’d know it if you broke something.

(2) It is not clear to me how to lubricate the quill. One YouTube video showed a gentleman putting way oil at the top of the quill. As I recall, the manual recommended using grease. In this case, I should follow the manual, right?
There are a bunch of different lubrication points on the head, and several different lubrication types.

The "way oil in the top of the quill" is intended to lubricate the drawbar. My Bridgeport has a tag on it that says to perform such an oiling every week or so I think. I just use a couple drops 30-weight non-detergent oil every so often.

The grease goes into one of the ports on the side of the head and (if I recall correctly) is for lubricating the back gears.

The quill itself is lubricated (for up/down movements) via an oil cup sitting on the front of the head. Again, that's for a Bridgeport, yours may differ. I use the same 30-wt oil for that as well, but you're probably best to use the oil the manual recommends.

(4) PM shipped the drawbar loose. Even after reading the manual, I don’t know how to install the drawbar. It appears that it would slip entirely through (and fall on the vise) if I put it in there. Maybe the answer to this lies in question (3) above.
The drawbar bears on a shoulder near the top of the spindle. Should be a washer and maybe an O-ring as well (?) that it sits on. Otherwise, you just drop it down into the hole, nothing special.

The drawbar just dropped right in. It could not have been easier than that. I did have to clean off the protective coating of grease, however.

These are some of the items that I do not know exactly what they are. There are others that look the same that would been redundant to photograph. They are all marked X, Y and Z. It is pretty clear to me that these are parts that PM took off of the stock milling machine in order to install the 3 factory installed power feeds.

2C95A8C1-0C71-4259-8D76-E2B567C3DCB1.jpeg

Here is a picture of the top of the head that the drawbar dropped into:

CBA6EA52-193B-48CA-8534-B96687B22385.jpeg

The drawbar just dropped right in. It could not have been easier than that. I did have to clean off the protective coating of grease, however.

These are some of the items that I do not know exactly what they are. There are others that look the same that would been redundant to photograph. They are all marked X, Y and Z. It is pretty clear to me that these are parts that PM took off of the stock milling machine in order to install the 3 factory installed power feeds.

View attachment 409986
You are right. Those are the parts that were removed when they installed the power feeds.

Here are some self-explanatory pictures of the action.

2F37DD21-6980-45FA-B31B-3770BF86876A.jpeg

974D77D9-C00E-4A52-83CC-D488E8CFF2DB.jpeg

2C06024B-3401-4433-AB85-B8E3A679BDD0.jpeg

E221AA48-3024-416E-BBA6-D170E5567C09.png

…and green/yellow is ground which is green on the SOOW.

Back