Getting a New PM-1054 Going

As for the indicator itself, IMO a tenths indicator (0.0001”) is too sensitive for tramming. I reserve my tenths indicators for use on the surface plate (for checking tolerances, squareness, surface finish, etc.) and to calibrate my Haimer and Tschorn 3D edge finders. I have found that the best indicator for tramming purposes is one marked in 5/10ths - like the one I showed in the photos above.

I did not mean to imply by my photo that you should tram the mill with the vise installed - I was simply too lazy to remove my vise to snap that photo of the indicator and Noga indicator holder posted above. Indeed, all items on the table should be removed before tramming. The following video is the process I use and recommend, except that moving a 1-2-3 block around the table as you check heights makes the job easier and more accurate.

This is the last post from the shop today. In the photo below, I used the y-axis power feed. The RPM was 1200, still no oil, .025” DOC and a feed of 12.7 IPM.

I may be happy with this for now. It does pretty well on the fingernail test.

24A547FE-F2CC-451A-A698-845CF70136CE.jpeg

As for the indicator itself, IMO a tenths indicator (0.0001”) is too sensitive for tramming. I reserve my tenths indicators for use on the surface plate (for checking tolerances, squareness, surface finish, etc.) and to calibrate my Haimer and Tschorn 3D edge finders. I have found that the best indicator for tramming purposes is one marked in 5/10ths - like the one I showed in the photos above.

I did not mean to imply by my photo that you should tram the mill with the vise installed - I was simply too lazy to remove my vise to snap that photo of the indicator and Noga indicator holder posted above. Indeed, all items on the table should be removed before tramming. The following video is the process I use and recommend, except that moving a 1-2-3 block around the table as you check heights makes the job easier and more accurate.

As my vise has only been indicated with a machinist square, I will be removing my vise when I tram the head with the new Edge Technology instrument.

Back