Getting good finish on carbide inserts with shallow cuts

Yea I tried to do that, no idea how it works. It looks like a normal lathe bit that's mounted backwards. I tried it and it still didn't give good finish.
You put the center of the angled edge on center to the part your turning? You don't turn with the point like a regular tool.
file.php

We have a winner.
I found these two inserts at a nearby scrap carbide shop. Both of these profiles gave great finish even with shallow depth of cut. I mean I had to spin the lathe at 1800 rpm but still...

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_095642.jpg
    IMG_20221005_095642.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I use wnmg 080404 at high rpm for shallow cuts. The last 04 is the nose radius,not saying you dont,but imcase you did not know. It machines pretty sweet. It has worked for me for years. 080408 also gives a nice finnish at 0.5mm DOC at 750+ rpm.

My 2 cents

The finish you keep getting regardless of the insert type or depth of cut is a result of the play in your machine. If we are honest, we all take the last half thou off with abrasive cloth & scothbrite anyway.

I'm getting great finish with inserts with a finishing geometry, I just happened to find them at a scrap carbide shop. The only bad part about finishing insert is they cut very poorly at higher depth (anything more than 0.1mm) and while it will still produce a good finish at those depth, they will spit out ribbons that are sharper than a samurai sword that bird nests the lathe.

Edit: The sharp ribbon problem can be remedied by lowering the feed rate...

Last edited:
If one can’t make it happen with HSS or carbide, I saw Abom79 using one of these in one of his videos:

High budget:

or

or low budget:

or

or

Electric:

One wonders how safe this is to use on a lathe:

AABE55E4-B34B-4DF8-B67E-AFF957E3E115.jpeg

I think this is the one that Abom79 had:

Last edited:
Most carbide inserts seems to have a depth of cuts at which you will get a good finish, and for most inserts it's always more than 0.5mm. That means if I want to take 0.1mm off I'm out of luck and will get crappy finish. Are there inserts that allows me to take shaving passes and still get good finish?

I'm machining annealed 4140. The surface finish gets better if it's hardened, but in the annealed state it seems the only way to get a good finish is to basically take large passes.

Some folks have used inserts designed for aluminum in mild steel. They have a very sharp edge and look like they could take a shallow cut. See image. Not sure about strength of that edge though.

I've tried some finishing (-ff )inserts, but they still have a rounded edge before the chip breaker like most carbide inserts. So there is still a minimum depth of cut.

Attachments

• AL insert.jpg
    AL insert.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5
Back