Getting ready to pull the trigger on a PM1228

AndySomogyi

Registered
Registered
Getting ready to order this PM1228, anybody care to stop me before I potentially do something incredibly stupid?

I make prototype car parts, do NOT do any production. Largest thing I plan on is maybe 280mm flywheels and air-cooled aluminum cylinders (160mm OD).

Good:
  • BLDC variable speed.
  • electronic brake and reverse.
  • good external size (I'm massively constrained on space)
Bad:
  • does not come with 4-jaw.
  • only 110V, not avail with 220.
Not Sure:
  • is it rigid enough for mostly steel cutting?

I plan on converting to electronic lead screw pretty early, and of course DRO, and casting a concrete table to set it on.

I’m 99% sure on the 1228, but still maybe thinking about the 1236.

Attachments

• 164378F8-DEAD-4EA3-B342-99EC5076CAC6.jpeg
    164378F8-DEAD-4EA3-B342-99EC5076CAC6.jpeg
    381.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Depends on your budget, having had the 1228, and what you want to do a Taiwan lathe is better. I went up to a 1340GT from the 1228, and I'm sure that any seasoned machinist can do everything on a 1228 that can be done on the 1340 except length. I feel it's easier for me to do it on the 1340, with the advantage of being a little more solid, and better quality.

I would look at the PM-1236T, add a VFD with a basic install (details are posted in the PM section). I think at the end of the day you will have a better lathe with more rigidity and a lot easier threading with the Norton gearbox (but not an issue if you go to an ELS). Price wise it is not a big jump up in cost, but a better quality lathe that you will probably keep for a long time. If you think you are going to be doing bigger parts, then maybe consider the 1340GT or a 1440 lathe.

I’m super constrained on space, got about 60” of width, and not really an inch more.

I’d have to tear out my cabinet and rebuild it.

Sadly the PM1228 is already above my budget :(

Last edited:
Grizzly has some smaller lathes 10×22 that are 50" in the long dimension and are $1000 less
Sadly, these are out-of-stock also.

Grizzly has some smaller lathes 10×22 that are 50" in the long dimension and are $1000 less
Sadly, these are out-of-stock also.
The 1228 just fits how much space I’ve got, seems to be the most solid lathe I’ve got space for.

My first choice would be the 1236T, but that’s way out of my budget

The machine only length for the 1340 is 67 1/4, without the tailstock overhang Just an FYI. You would have to reconfigure your cabinets, and make your own stand unfortunately.

Wow, that's a beast.

Thanks, but I just don't have time to rebuild another machine, I'm looking to make parts right away, and not rebuild lathes.
I get it, Looks like it could have fit your space requirements. A lot of iron there for the money. :)

Back