Getting started: Shop questions

I built a 40X60 X12. This is my third and final try at shop building. I am very happy with it so far. In the front 2/3's I have the machining on one side and the opposite side is the welding, CNC and grinding. Forty foot apart I don't have any issues so far. A big door is in the center of this 40' and it leaves me plenty of room to bring in truck/tractor/project in the center. The back 1/3 is tractor and misc storage.

No matter how big you make your shop, in a few years it will be full. It's a law of nature :)

If you have 3 phase available it's much more economical to run it while you are building than add it later. Check with your power company to see if it is available in your area. You can look at the power lines that run by your place to get an idea.

If you have 1 insulated line on the pole only single phase is available:

View attachment 304485

If you have 3 insulated lines 3 phase is available (well it's there, but it's up to your power company if it is available to you or not)

View attachment 304486

If your lines are underground it's time to call the power company.
I was excited to see these picks... So I ran out to see what kind of power we had... Um, what does it mean when you have just two lines? sigh. Nothing is ever easy.

Great! Designing and outfitting a shop is one of the fun parts!

When you get to the right point, you might want to lay out your shop equipment to scale in a CAD program of some sort, not forgetting stock storage and handling space. Eg. Space for infeed/outfeed of stock at a vertical band saw or to left/right of a horizontal band saw. Some of that can be handled by putting equipment on wheels and strategically placing near a door or coincident with the infeed/outfeed space of another equipment etc. Also, a designated assembly / repair space, should be planned in near an overhead door so you can also pull in tractor for maint. etc.
I have used Grizzly's Workshop planner. Easy to use and has lots of pre-configured equipment. There may be others.

Sub-fed power from my house panel. Presently it is a separate meter that is charged $25 minimum per month. (A surprise policy change from the power company a few years after I built the shop). Some slow shop months, I might use $1 in power...
Planned the HVAC better. I have hotspots / coldspots and will need to redo my HVAC at some point.

Since your shop is quite a distance from the house, a way to control at least the exterior barn lights and HVAC from the house would be nice. I have that situation and it is nice to arrive at a nice warm shop and be able to see where I'm going after dark.

Thanks! I have seen the Grizzly Workshop planner, but not played with it much yet. I think I'll give that a try.
Your suggestion about running power from the house rather than a separate meter is something I'll have to look into. From the house to where the shop is is ~55 feet (to eaves of shop). I have flood lights from the house that cover that area.

I built a 40X60 X12. This is my third and final try at shop building. I am very happy with it so far. In the front 2/3's I have the machining on one side and the opposite side is the welding, CNC and grinding. Forty foot apart I don't have any issues so far. A big door is in the center of this 40' and it leaves me plenty of room to bring in truck/tractor/project in the center. The back 1/3 is tractor and misc storage.

Lol. What were the sizes of your first shops?

So, I looked at the cost for 40x60 vs 24x36, not counting AC, Electric or water. Looking at $70k vs 40k. My total budget, including tooling is only $70k. So I don't think that's an option.

I'm about finished with my 24x40 pole building. I'm running power to it now (100A worth of 230v single phase). As much as I love the idea of 3-phase service (I am 200' from the substation), I was put off by the quoted price tag of $1400/month for the connection of commercial power to a residential building. It's probably not that bad everywhere, but worth looking into before getting too attached to the idea. Instead, I bought a RPC for my mill and will do the same for future 3-ph machinery. What I like: Big 12h x 14w door, 13' ceilings, second level above shop. What I don't like: I can give you a better answer in a year.

Workshop rough draft 1.jpg
This is kind of a rough draft of what I have been considering. The center core is the shop proper - 24ft wide x 36 ft long. There is a lean too on each side, 18ft wide, 36ft long. So I guess someday I could enclose those for additional area. The areas in grey have a concrete slab, the rest are dirt / pea gravel. The lean too shed on the right is where I would keep my bobcat telehandler and brush cutter, and at the back is the kill pen, and cleaning area. The processing room is just off this. The rest of the shop is just sort of ideas I'm fiddling with - nothing in definite yet. The left hand lean too would have some of the implements I use under it, and a patio. I am hoping eventually to have a pond about 100 yards out from that end of the shop, and I thought it might be nice to be able to sit out there and watch sunset.

Doc, Sounds like you are going to have some fun. I have a small shop 30 x 36 with 12' ceiling It is totally packed, but I know where everything is and I also parking place for my work van.
I like your idea of the open shed areas on each end. I also own a lathe 2 mills, welding stuff, table saw etc. etc. etc.
I do not have dust collection. So I usually do cutting of wood, grinding of metal outside. Most of my welding is tig. so not so much hot stuff flying around. A forge on the other hand will heat & spark up I would have a fire proof area for the welding and forge. I like your 12 x 12 garage door. Go with insulated. I would leave the center core shop open for now. Outlets in my shop were all around. Some got buried by shelving, who knew?
I am located in NJ. Temp can get down around 10 to 20 deg. in winter. Walls and ceiling are R-19. It usually will not freeze in winter with out heat. I have a hanging gas heater with exhaust on my ceiling. But In the floor heat would be better.
Good luck to you and your family on your project. Al.

I was in your exact position a couple years ago with a similar career. While I can't disagree with anything others have said, I chose a different route. I sold the farm as it was constant work and added stress to a 1 in 3 call schedule. Not to mention what happens during lambing season. Additionally I was in renal failure..... So we downsized from our overly large farm house to a 1500 sq ft vintage brick bungalow house.

My new-to-me shop is a used 60x64 olympic building with 14' ceiling and doors with 600 amp 480 three phase on 5 acres. It's about 2 miles from home. I find this a great solution - you can usually buy way cheaper than you can build. The extra land is a reasonable investment and for us gives a getaway from our house in "town" (ok - village of 900). It meant that I still "needed" a couple small tractors. Sure, buildings don't come up everyday, but they can be a real bargain. You seem to have time on your side. The final "benefit" is that I'm certain my wife will outlive me, so she can simply auction building and contents and won't be stuck looking at my shop afterword.

My shop is 30 X 40 and I wish it was bigger daily! You'll fill whatever you build. Go tall, you'll be amazed how often head-room comes in handy!

As far as 3 phase, getting it ran to a new small shop will be pricey and you're at the mercy of the power company to get it, I had it at my first place and it turned out to be way too much for a hobby shop and the new owner had it torn out as soon as he signed the papers.

Don't forget to allow some space for a good pedestal grinder, a drill press, your belt sander (after it's done), a couple of good benches and some tool storage, gantry cranes are handy for lifting not only your projects (and fun to build) but your tooling (chucks, rotary tables etc). It all adds up to square footage fast!

I know, a bit lengthy, but you know how it goes...
Just my 2 cent worth,
Joe

Back