Ghetto Bench Grinder wheel balance method

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I don’t like how my bench grinder vibrates everything off the bench.
This is cheap and it works very well.
5/8” OD x1/4” ID shielded bearings. I chose double shielded vs sealed due to the friction of the seals.
I am using “D” drill bit, .246”.73909B12-0BC8-4367-86B6-6EB7A2B22AAC.jpegA79E2994-4744-48BE-900E-B0A90EE5B481.jpegA1FA454D-A255-4FB6-B593-81304EC37546.jpegThe 246 blocks have that patina because they went through the fire.246 block.jpg

Last edited:
so how do you correct balance, add or remove weight

Well now there lies the rub.
This thread isn’t about how to balance the wheel. I guess the title is misleading.
I am using the , drill little holes in the wheel method.
It works for Don Bailey of Suburban Tools. It also works for me. He said they have been doing it that way for decades on high rpm surface grinder wheels.
There are several different methods on the web, I may try the, teardrop washer method.
I don’t like putting holes in a new wheel.

when you drill the wheel how far from the hub do you drill & what size hole

Shielded bearings was a good choice. But, grease in the bearing will stiffen them some. I have removed grease from shielded bearings for Stirling engines I have built by letting them soak for a few days in brake cleaner and blowing them out with air. Once the grease is dissolved and removed you'll have a close to friction free bearing. Shields do not seal a bearing like seals do. There is not a tight seal on them so you can actually add/remove grease from them.

Ted

If you're gonna drill do it under the large washer.

Got a 40 watt laser handy? :big grin:
Seriously it seems like you need a grinding wheel to grind the grinding wheel
or add weights- epoxy?

1/4" ceramic drill bit and I use the hammer drill setting. I still ping the wheel before I would mount it.
How deep? Oh maybe 1/4"

Back